• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Gone...

PromoGuyTy

So I leave my Epson GS6000 on over the Memorial Day weekend. (I leave it on every weekend).

Come back this a.m. and the waste bottle is full + ink is all over the floor.

I'm guessing this cost me $1000-$1500.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ty

MachServTech

that sucks. I have seen this before in a couple of Mutoh printers, but not in the GS6000.

Whats your warranty status? Who is your dealer?

klemgraphics

Weren't we just talking about such a possible incident last week? Really sucks that it actually happened. Hope they get you up and going quickly. Maybe you should have sold me that printer instead....haha

artbot

it wicked away into your drain bottle? was the remaining ink on the ground from overflowing? there are a couple scenarios that can cause wicking. ...say if you are doing something to your carriage...maybe a cap fill. under the right conditions a fluid connection between the bottom of the head to the ink in the cap will cause your carts to empty. the machine it balanced with the slightest positive pressure at the head. all it needs is a little encouragement and they will flow out. ...that said, i'm really not sure how epson will approach this as a warranty issue. it happened to me once and in the end i had to learn what conditions will cause this.

mediaman

My guess - the capping sponge was full and swollen and it was high enough to touch the bottom of the head and cause siphoning to begin and, obviously, continue until the ink source was dry.

Freese

My guess - the capping sponge was full and swollen and it was high enough to touch the bottom of the head and cause siphoning to begin and, obviously, continue until the ink source was dry.

This.

I have heard issues like this on Mimaki's where a hair or strand of scrim from banner or something got onto the capping station and created a siphoning effect.

MachServTech

This.

I have heard issues like this on Mimaki's where a hair or strand of scrim from banner or something got onto the capping station and created a siphoning effect.

That machine has 2 DX5 heads, I wonder if it was all the carts or just half?

PromoGuyTy

Both the distributor tech and the Epson tech have let me know that it isn't a problem they've ever seen before with this model.

Distributor tech was very helpful as always.

The Epson tech came within 1 business day.

Epson tech said his best guess was a damper valve being stuck open.

He replaced two damper valves.

Epson gave us (1) black cart.

ProWraps

1 black cart.... heh. thanks guys!!!

$1500 in ink in that thing? good god. that carries a ton of ink!