• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Not Original ??

greglauter

Hi, I hope someone can guide me in the right direction. I was in the middle of a print when "out of ink" showed up. No big deal I thought. Dropped the new magenta in and got a message "Ink Not Original" I pulled the ink cart out and noticed the smart card is much different than the smart card on the old ink cart. The old ink cart had a business card size white card attached with a tiny gold smart card in the corner. The new ink cart has a business card size silver sticker with two small black boxes on it. I'm assuming this is a new "smart card" Mutoh put out for their ink carts. I don't have a back up ink, put order in yesterday. My question is, I know it may/may not be a bad smart card. BUT, I am running old firmware (1.07) could the firmware remedy the situation? Or does it definitely sound like a bad smart card? I have been running perfectly fine with the older smart cards until this point. I hate updating firmware because people tend to have problems after doing so. Would the updated firmware recognize the new smart card? Or bad smart card? I am running a Mutoh 1204 with 220ml EcoSolvent inks. I hope this makes sense, Any help is greatly appreciated!!! :signs101:

Bradster941

Can't answer your question, but call Fellers and see if their Tampa store is open.
You could pop over there and get what you need for now if they are.

MacDaddy

Same Ink, different Ink ID... you were sent ink for an Outddor Printer, not a VJ printer... Contact the dealer where the ink was purchased... If you have some smart cards on hand just remove the silver sticker and apply the correct smart card... Your dealer can provide these cards as well...

MacDaddy

These Cards must be positioned exactly right, send me an e-mail address and I will send you a doc that explains how to do this.

greglauter

Hey MacDaddy, Sorry for the late response. I got fed up and just wanted to get out of the shop for awhile and take a breather :)Anyways, I pealed the silver sticker of of the new ink cart and applied the white card with gold chip and "eyed" it in the same place as my other carts ( I pulled the yellow to compare :) Any help you may have would be great. Only problem is I have pulled the cart 8-9 times now and I don't think I can pull it out anymore without ruining the cart... is that correct? If you could email me at greglauter@yahoo.com. with any input, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help MacDaddy!!!!

MacDaddy

Yea, 10 times and it expires the card (according to Mutoh)... I have some cards if you need them... I can do regular US Postal Service mail at no cost to you.... Tell me what you want?

greglauter

Thanks a lot MacDaddy. I will talk to my supplier on Monday and see what they say. I may take you up on that offer. I will let you know, thanks a lot for your help brother

randya

Yea, 10 times and it expires the card (according to Mutoh)... I have some cards if you need them... I can do regular US Postal Service mail at no cost to you.... Tell me what you want?

That has been increased to something like 100 on newer cards

SignSmith

Smart Cards

You need to update your firmware to 1:17. I still have the same problem you do from time to time, but I just keep cards on hand to make sure I dont end up closing up because I have no other ink cartriges. I trace around the bad card with a marker, then stick on a new one, right in same place. I've never had a bad replacement card to date, but that may change, don't know. If you purchased your printer from Sign Warehouse, ask specifically for Keith, he knows his stuff! Walked me right through the firmware update. Only problem I now have is ink cartrige alarm going off from time to time and the cartrige is nearly full. (Reason for many many smart cards in my desk drawer!)

Now, I need to do a head wash, its not been done on my printer to date, and its way past due. Anybody have any feedback on headwash with cleaning cartriges for a 1204? I DONT want to be down, i'm covered up with work for the first time in a couple months.

randya

Why do you need a head wash?

This is usually reserved for transporting and storage.

Maybe you need a head soak?