• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink or Media Issue

mkldl

Mimaki JV33 2x4 (less than a year old-it was purchased from dealer stock-new in box)
Using same profiles as always have used. Caldera software
No head crashes, and print head is cleaned daily

This issue occurs randomly on prints, and randomly throughout the prints. We have seen it on IJ-180CV3, Arlon, and Orafol. We have switched rolls, and even tried different lots of the same 3 medias. Sometimes we have this issue and sometimes not. Just what is causing this is a mystery.

Can anyone chime in and point us in the right direction Ink or Media?

Thanks in advance for any insight

Attachments

• JV33_Blotches.jpg
    JV33_Blotches.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 132
To me I see what looks like a very light banding across the print. Then the "smudged areas" To me this looks like a heat issue. Part of the media is getting too much heat. Just my 2cents though. Not entirely sure how the printer works and runs.

AnimalG82

My JV33 has done pretty much the same thing. It worked great for about a year, then one day just took a dump for no reason. Didn't change a thing with it, just decided to start banding and messing with colors. I've had a tech out several times, replaced several components and nothing has worked. Pretty much have to work around the problems and hope for the best.

31legen

banding

Ive had similar issues as well. Im running a CJV. I have noticed my printer is extremely sensitive to humidity as well as ink output.
What is your humidity in your print room?

mkldl

More specific

I should have been more specific about the issue. If you look above the W in the print, there is an area there where it seems like the ink did not stick correctly, or maybe something was on the media that kept it from laying down properly in that area. There is another area just between the words that is the same as the other...like the ink did not lay down correctly.
I have pointed out these areas in this new attachment. Thanks again for any input.

attachment.php

Attachments

• JV33_Blotches_2.jpg
    JV33_Blotches_2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 136

player

It reminds me of "blushing" when painting a car. This is from a car painting forum:

Blushing
Generally caused by high humidity and temperature. The paint will appear to be blotchy, milky, or cloudy. This is very common in lacquer paints, but is also seen in other paint systems as well. The solvent evaporation can cause the temperature to dip below the dew point which will cause moisture to develop into the paint film. High humidity used in combination with a fast or non compassable thinner will further aggravate the problem.

To repair the problem:
If the paint has not cured apply heat to the surface using either a heated paint booth or a common heat gun.
If you are experiencing blushing after a first coat you can add some retarder or a slower reducer/thinner. Using a slower drying paint thinner will allow the water molecules to evaporate before the film locks the water in.
If the paint has dried you can try to buff the finish to a gloss, however in most cases you can expect to sand and repaint the substrate in better painting conditions.

Are you not bothered by the banding?

ChrisMartin

I haven't seen this on my one year old CJV30-130. I would look at how it is placing the ink on the media. Is it actually printing this weird oval shape or is it happening on the post heat or after it was printed? What are your heat settings? Another thought, perhaps it could be a profile issue or actual RIP issue if it is happening on all of the media you are trying. These are just thoughts...