• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink/Paint on PVC coated canvas

ChrisCanvas

Hello All,
Hopefully the brains here can offer a solution for my problem.
I'm part owner of a business that makes canvas tops for boats plus any other custom canvas work that comes in.

We recently made a cover for a 26ft baling machine that the owner would like his company logo and details on.
The problem is, the material we used for the cover is a heavy duty, PVC coated polyester fabric (that goes by the name of Mars) and regular vinyl graphics just won't stick to it for long.

So what we're thinking is using a cut vinyl stencil, then painting (or spraying) on SOMETHING that is going to stick to this stuff.
We did a test using this method with Tremclad, but it too didn't seem to stick that well. It scratched off with a fingernail.

So if anyone has experience with this kind of thing and can offer some advice or a product that would work on pvc, that would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

ChrisCanvas

Yeah looks like that stuff would work but the trailer we have is 26ft long...
At $99 a can (which covers 2.5 sq ft) we're in the thousands of dollars just for one side... no way would the customer go for that.

Anyone else know of anything?

axis

Any of the multi purpose screen printing inks will work. Mask it with 3 mil, using a hair dryer and a soft rubber roller to apply it. Apply the ink with a short nap roller, don't over work it, you want it to cover in as few passes as possible. If you start working it the ink will lift. Don't thin it too much and you can avoid wicking. Remove the mask while the ink is still wet.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
nazdar screen printing ink will be your best friend ... use ventilation unless you like to have your hands shaking from nerve damage ... nasty stuff.

like others have said, block off, roll on, peel off mask.