• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink printing like spray can

bighun

This ever happen to anyone? I started printing today and my black ink prints out as if it is spraying on the vinyl. Looks very distorted and has "overspray?". Weird. Head height is good, tried head cleaning. Printed fine yesterday. Has ink and is pumping well.

Printer is a Roland FJ-52. Any ideas?

cartoad

We have that problem on occasion with our Roland, we usually clean it and check the wipers to make sure they are not soaked with ink, as for the distortion, the encoder strip is a likely suspect. We very very carefully clean the encoder strip and that cures the problem. Good luck!

stonetree

:munchie:
We have that problem on occasion with our Roland, we usually clean it and check the wipers to make sure they are not soaked with ink, as for the distortion, the encoder strip is a likely suspect. We very very carefully clean the encoder strip and that cures the problem. Good luck!

FYI, Cleaning your encoder strip yourself will void your warranty!

InkjetAuction

Linear Encoder Strip...

Cleaning the linear encoder strip yourself will not void your warranty... assuming that you clean it carefully with only 70% isopropyl alcohol (and nothing stronger). Use a soft lint free cloth/towel. It also assumes that you don't physically damage the strip. It can kink easily.

Removing the strip or the encoder sensor without guidance from Roland or Roland authorized service MAY void the warranty.

With that said... this is most likely not an linear encoder issue. If it was, the problem would show up in all colors.

Like Mike said, it's probably some debris or "fuzz" on the black head. Do a manual cleaning and use a bright flashlight to look up under the heads. I bet that you'll find some type of debris. You'd be surprised what a bright LED flashlight illuminates under the print carriage.

~E