• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink starvation... and Machine tune up.

DavidLSI

A problem arose on Friday, printing on vinyl in what should have been blue was coming out green. When I showed the sample to the dealer where I bought the Roland SP-540V they instantly came back with Oh, that is "ink starvation" the unit needs a tune-up. Something that needs to be done every 8 - 12 months.

With a cost of about $475.00 the tech is on his way to replace some parts and get me running again.

My question is this something that everyone experiences. Pays for at that price or does themselves? Where you told when you bought the machine that this would be needed or surprised like me?

I have had the machine for 2.5 years so I guess i have been lucky that I got away without it this long.

CS-SignSupply

Normal. Either learn and do yourself (and take on the risks involved) or pay to have them done.

Captops - change every 4 to 6 months (depending on use)
Dampers - maybe once every 12 to 18 months
Wipers - every 2 to 3 months
wiper Scraper - yearly or as needed
Blade - as needed

Heads - as needed but 30 to 36 months is good

artbot

i bet that "tune up" is new dampers ($8 each, 15 minutes) and cleaning out your pump (10 minutes), clean up your wiper (2 minutes).... but there's no garuantee that your starvation will go away.

tell him to go home and have the board help you first diagnose what your printer is doing. it could be vacuum, or supply, leaks, etc. throwing $475 at it is not how to "fix" it.

DavidLSI

Normal. Either learn and do yourself (and take on the risks involved) or pay to have them done.

tell him to go home and have the board help you first diagnose what your printer is doing. it could be vacuum, or supply, leaks, etc. throwing $475 at it is not how to "fix" it.

Thanks guys....

If I had time the risks would not be a problem.. But if I caused more damage or issues this is the wrong week for any more delays.

I was mostly concerned about being sold something not needed. Reading the two responses and seeing what is being accomplished has eased my concerns.

Ken

Well, you've had the machine for more than 2 years so I'm guessing you know how different profiles can change the expected colour output. And running cleaning cycles.
Is this a new type of media that you are using?
Ken

DavidLSI

Well, you've had the machine for more than 2 years so I'm guessing you know how different profiles can change the expected colour output. And running cleaning cycles.
Is this a new type of media that you are using?
Ken

No the same media..... The problem happened 1/2 way through.. Bluse one moment and green the next.