Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inkjet office printers - Not large format, what do you use?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by speedmedia, Nov 18, 2010.

1. speedmedia

speedmedia Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Hey all,
    In the market for a little inkjet printer to do some small gernal printing such as invoices comps etc. Nothing fancy. Just general little paper printer.

I have always bought Epson in the past because I really like their products. The problem I have is everytime I go buy ink it is usually a few buck more to just buy another whole printer know what I mean?

Anyone out there have any general printers that they really like that puts out decent prints and has decent ink costs?

Thanks,
    Kurt

Tags:
  2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

I'd buy a color laser for day-to-day non critical printing. We use a Brother 4070 on the network for printing most documents (emails, invoices, etc.), and if we need to print color critical proofs we print them on an Epson 1400 which really prints well for the money.

You should be able to get a good laser printer for around $300 or so, maybe less with any rebates. The toner savings will pay for the printer really quickly compared to an inkjet, the savings is huge.

3. HaroldDesign

HaroldDesign Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You may want to go with a toner based laser printer. HP makes some good ones.

4. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    just invoices and things of that nature, get a black laser printer.....if you're looking to multitask the printer, go with a color laser....my husband got me a color laser printer two years ago for xmas for about $150.....toner's more expensive than ink but it doesn't dry out and you get more out of a toner cartridge than you would an ink cartridge....check ebay...that's where my husband got mine and we actually still use the guy he bought it from to get the toner....

5. dj_elite

dj_elite Active Member

Oct 26, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've had good luck with HP and the prints are good and fast. Stay far far away from lexmark, by far the worst. Nothing but problems

6. Barber

Barber Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Blairsville, GA
    I just bought a Samsung color laser. Cost about $150 cheap for a color laser. Prints are pretty good. Bought from NeEgg.

7. Bradster941

Bradster941 Very Active Member

Sep 5, 2005

Same here, though I have the Brothers 3070 wifi color laser.

Saves a ton of money over ink jet and, the toner cartridges (Are Not Chipped), which means you can reset and refill them.

8. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

9. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    i have a HP Officejet 8500A Plus

Its a good printer. Wireless with all the bells and whistles. Its just as fast as laser jet printer.

10. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Ditto the laser printer.

After a handful of inkjets, I broke down and got the laser. In the long run, it's more economical and my invoices and proposals have never looked more professional.

Seriously...the extra you will spend is well worth it.

JB

11. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Konica Minolta color laser is what we have. A color laser will pay for itself in the ink you save in 6 months!!!!

12. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    If you want to stay with Epson, the Workforce series is very good ... get the bulk ink system for it!

I am very happy with mine.

13. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    We print 40-50 documents a day and spend around $400 a year on toner, how much does this bulk system ink cost to run?

14. speedmedia

speedmedia Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Awesome feedback everyone! Guess I will head to the store and check out some different ones. Leaning more towards laser at this point...

Thanks,
    Kurt

15. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010

Workforce is actually what I use for sublimation. HP is what I use for the day to day office stuff. I can get pretty good deals on inks, just have to shop around for that.

16. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor