• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inkjet Vinyl that sticks to Pleather/Leather?

SolitaryT

IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT CHIT-CHAT, SKIP TO THE "...My question"

Okay, so here's some backstory... I have a well-intentioned business partner who sold a job to a guy who sells trucks. This job involves screen-printing logos onto a bunch of black pleather vinyl tire covers. Well, to do it, originally he had another well-intentioned business partner, who sold us the sign parts of the business but held onto his T-shirt machine, lined up to do the job, but since he sold us the sign shop and retired, his turnaround time is about, oh, I don't know, 7 months. In a mad scramble, business partner A asks me to print and cut a whole bunch of "rta" (he said), something high performance, but didn't tell me what the application was until I had finished printing and cutting this job out of 3M IJ35C-10. So I rolled with it, applied the graphics, FOLDED THE TIRE COVERS BACK UP, put them back in the boxes they came in, and mailed them out, telling EVERYONE involved when it came to my $.02 that they weren't going to survive the packaging. Sure enough, 8 months later, the vinyl is failing since they're starting to take them out of the box and open them up. Peeling. Edge curling. The typical stuff. So, in a last ditch effort to do this correctly before I tell everyone to take a hike and just issue the paltry refund (not a huge job, just annoying)...

...My question to you all: is there an inkjet printable vinyl that A. will stick to this stuff and B. comes in 30" rolls and not just 54"?

ams

Hmm I don't know if that's considered low energy or not. But use a high tack vinyl such as Orajet 3105HT

J Hill Designs

Okay, so here's some backstory... I have a well-intentioned business partner who sold a job to a guy who sells trucks. This job involves screen-printing logos onto a bunch of black pleather vinyl tire covers. Well, to do it, originally he had another well-intentioned business partner, who sold us the sign parts of the business but held onto his T-shirt machine, lined up to do the job, but since he sold us the sign shop and retired, his turnaround time is about, oh, I don't know, 7 months. In a mad scramble, business partner A asks me to print and cut a whole bunch of "rta" (he said), something high performance, but didn't tell me what the application was until I had finished printing and cutting this job out of 3M IJ35C-10. So I rolled with it, applied the graphics, FOLDED THE TIRE COVERS BACK UP, put them back in the boxes they came in, and mailed them out, telling EVERYONE involved when it came to my $.02 that they weren't going to survive the packaging. Sure enough, 8 months later, the vinyl is failing since they're starting to take them out of the box and open them up. Peeling. Edge curling. The typical stuff. So, in a last ditch effort to do this correctly before I tell everyone to take a hike and just issue the paltry refund (not a huge job, just annoying)...

...My question to you all: is there an inkjet printable vinyl that A. will stick to this stuff and B. comes in 30" rolls and not just 54"?

I'd say no RTA will work if they are folding them up and repackaging...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

I would use a heat set vinyl. We just did a bunch of testing onto leather and pleather and it looks great! What kind of machine do you run?