• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Input on Sign Construction Design

Stormyj

Just another guy
Howdy all,
I have a customer that provided the following design to me asking if this would be possible. This will be a temporary construction sign. Well, I said.. Anything is possible. :banghead: When I look at this design, I see some problems. First, with the 4x8 sheet of 3/4 mdo inserted into a 6x6 post. Not a problem doing it, but, I think that when the wind gets ahold of that sheet its gonna bend and rip it right off of the post. This sign is suppose to last 14 months. I mentioned using the post and banner poles extending out from the post supporting a banner with pockets. He wants more of a professional looking and more permanent looking sign then the typical construction sign. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. I can see what hes trying to do, get away from two posts, kickers, generic construction signage. What have some of you all done to mix it up a bit. Thanks all.
test.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good luck finding a 6" x 6" x 16' post you can paint white that won't bend over on it's own...... even before the wind takes it down.

If this guy is in construction, don't ever let him build anything for you...... he's a dolt.

Also, I highly doubt you can put a temporary sign 12' out of the ground just anywhere. The sign should be landscaped if using 3/4" as mentioned.

Why does God let these people live ??

edit : the only way you could use a single post would be if yard arms were used and the entire post structure was made of welded steel. Then, you'd hafta add guy wires so it doesn't whack someone walking by. 4' out of the ground. What a joke...... :banghead:

ActionGraphics

That is not a workable design as it is. You are correct about wind shearing. It would tear right off in a strong wind. You might be able to use a metal post with metal reinforcing struts across the MDO, but it would need to be hefty. 14 months is temporary? I don't know what your local regs are, but did you need a permit? You might need licensed engineering specs.

And nobody has even begun to mention the clearance on the sign. At 4ft. your gonna have big problems with people trying to walk under it and hitting their head try raising it another 3 ft. But then you have even more problems. Tell him the reason you don't see signs like this and everything looks similar is because you can't do it without turning it into a multi thousand dollar sign.

Sidney

Agree 2 poles needed

I agree with the 2 poles approach. In addition to that see how you can incorporate a couple of wind channels as part of the design.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Thanks all for the feedback. I agree 100%. Not doable. The size, and time it will be installed made me think of engineering approval also ( wind/weight load). Plus the cost of a post that size is crazy and im sure very expensive. Thanks again for all the input.
Jim

TXFB.INS

now a more interesting concept would be to extend the insert all the though the 6x6 post and then have the sign centered with 24" on each side

Stormyj

Just another guy
UPDATE!!

So, I told the builder that the sign was a bad idea, and didn't hear from him about that particular sign. I did some other stuff for him, and went to the site to install a few directional signs. Low and behold, he got another sign company to install the main sign, just like in the drawing that I posted originally. Instead of mdo, they used 10mm coroplast held on with steel brackets, and placed into a groove in the post. I thought to myself, this is going to bend right over in the first strong wind. Oh well. 2 days later, I stopped by to touchup some paint on my signs, and guess what? Coroplast bent over, broke the brackets, and is on the verge of blowing into the street. Cant wait for the rfp for a new sign.
:smile:

bernie

He thought "he'd do it his way" ....

Putting up something that foolish to begin with, reminds me that "just because he's a builder does not mean he has any common sense".

Bernie