• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inspectors using company equipment for access

Robin Canaday

Mythic Signs Portland - General Manager / Owner
Have you ever had an inspector ask to use your ladder or truck to access a sign for inspection because they don't bring their own ladders? Our concern is liability; if the inspector gets hurt while using our equipment we don't want to get sued. There is also the issue of having to make another trip after installation, which wasn't billed in since most cities don't expect you to be onsite for inspections. How have other folks handled this situation?

J Hill Designs

There is one municipality near me that I always have to be on-site for finals.

And yes, he has borrowed my ladder a few times

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Technically, he should not be using your ladder. Your insurance company won't care if you let an inspector go up or a crack addict. Neither... are on your policy, so if something should happen, your insurance company might not help you, unless you have some provision written in stating that anyone can use your ladders and all your other equipment, however, that kinda coverage would probably be very expensive.

Did you make sure he was roped and using safety gear like hard hat, glasses and steel tipped boots ?? :ROFLMAO:

MikePro

How have other folks handled this situation?

I would politely tell the inspector that your insurance doesn't cover non-employee use of company equipment, and you could lose your job if you made any exceptions. We pay them "inspection fees" on top of the permit fees & tax dollars they're already ripping from our hands, they don't pay us, and cannot hold it against you that they are unprepared to do their job correctly. ...just don't be a jerk about it. as they can be bigger jerks :)

GWSigns

Trying to wrap my head around this one.........

Their JOB is to inspect signs. Is it not then their responsibility to have the proper equipment needed to do their JOB?

"Joe's lawn care, how can we help you? Sure we will mow your lawn, trim your hedges, and prune your trees. However, we will need you to be sure to have ready a lawnmower, gas powered trimmer, chain saw, and if you would, a glass of ice cold lemonade when we finish would be nice. "

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Trying to wrap my head around this one.........

Their JOB is to inspect signs. Is it not then their responsibility to have the proper equipment needed to do their JOB?

"Joe's lawn care, how can we help you? Sure we will mow your lawn, trim your hedges, and prune your trees. However, we will need you to be sure to have ready a lawnmower, gas powered trimmer, chain saw, and if you would, a glass of ice cold lemonade when we finish would be nice. "

Who do you know.... other than the 13 year old neighbor's kid, drinks lemonade while cutting the grass ?? There's all kinds of sharp tools and instruments being used. A real man drinks beer or some whiskey. Next, you'll tell me wine coolers are alright............. :banghead:

:Big Laugh

Pat Whatley

Inspector shows up without a ladder. You let him use one, he inspects the sign, signs off on it, makes a little friendly small talk, goes away.

Inspector shows up without a ladder. You tell him he can't use yours. You sit and wait while he drives back to the office, has lunch, waits on whoever has his ladder to get finished with it and bring it back, deals with 10 phone calls from people pissed off he's missing their appointments while waiting, he gets ******* at by city hall for not getting enough work done, he drives back out to meet you and you're pissed off at him for taking so long, he climbs up his ladder and nitpicks every little thing he can find. Will not sign off on it without repairs being made and another appointment. You make repairs, schedule appointment, he shows up without a ladder.

Your call.

GWSigns

Who do you know.... other than the 13 year old neighbor's kid, drinks lemonade while cutting the grass ?? There's all kinds of sharp tools and instruments being used. A real man drinks beer or some whiskey. Next, you'll tell me wine coolers are alright............. :banghead:

:Big Laugh

Actually - NO alcohol is okay in my book, but I know I walk a different path. That and the fact I drank enough for four lifetimes when I was supposed to be in college back in the day. Closed the clubs six nights a week, only because they were not open the seventh.

The old man has lemonade or sweet tea when working the yard, but then later on goes to his man cave and imbibes.

J Hill Designs

Inspector shows up without a ladder. You let him use one, he inspects the sign, signs off on it, makes a little friendly small talk, goes away.

Inspector shows up without a ladder. You tell him he can't use yours. You sit and wait while he drives back to the office, has lunch, waits on whoever has his ladder to get finished with it and bring it back, deals with 10 phone calls from people pissed off he's missing their appointments while waiting, he gets ******* at by city hall for not getting enough work done, he drives back out to meet you and you're pissed off at him for taking so long, he climbs up his ladder and nitpicks every little thing he can find. Will not sign off on it without repairs being made and another appointment. You make repairs, schedule appointment, he shows up without a ladder.

Your call.

this

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Or.............

he climbs up your ladder, with your permission, he inspects the sign and then falls about 18' while doing his job... on your ladder. Breaks both legs, crushes some ribs and splits his head open. Yuck, what a quivering mess. Insurance company says, sorry, but we cannot cover this guy for you. His bills are on you.

Call Obama and see if ObamaCare will cover his butt for not doing his government job correctly ?? Nope, for some dumb reason, since he was on your ladder, you are fully responsible for his clumsy a$$. The way the laws are written, only employees are allowed on specified equipment and since he has fallen from YOUR ladder, he must be some kinda employee of yours. What a f*ckin' pickle you're in now. How are ya gonna explain a paid government employee on an unauthorized non-governmental ladder while doing an inspection for you ?? Hmm-m-m..... he's either on the take, or you're paying him a kickback to make sure your sign meets code. Oh my oh my, what a tangled web we weave.

Nope, tell him he's on his own for his own needs..... or start jumping. :rolleyes:

Mosh

Our local inspector doesn't even get out of his truck...."looks good" is usually all he says as he collects his inspection fee.

player

Or.............
he climbs up your ladder, with your permission, he inspects the sign and then falls about 18' while doing his job... on your ladder. Breaks both legs, crushes some ribs and splits his head open. Yuck, what a quivering mess. Insurance company says, sorry, but we cannot cover this guy for you. His bills are on you.

In Canada just drop him off at the hospital... total coverage by the govt.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Or.............

Call Obama and see if ObamaCare will cover his butt for not doing his government job correctly ?? Nope, for some dumb reason, since he was on your ladder, you are fully responsible for his clumsy a$$. The way the laws are written, only employees are allowed on specified equipment and since he has fallen from YOUR ladder, he must be some kinda employee of yours. What a f*ckin' pickle you're in now. How are ya gonna explain a paid government employee on an unauthorized non-governmental ladder while doing an inspection for you ?? Hmm-m-m..... he's either on the take, or you're paying him a kickback to make sure your sign meets code. Oh my oh my, what a tangled web we weave.

Nope, tell him he's on his own for his own needs..... or start jumping. :rolleyes:

Agreed...his job is to inspect - he should have the equipment to do his job. It can be explained nicely that for insurance reasons, no one else is allowed to use your ladder or equipment or tools. And if your sign is installed correctly, there shouldn't be anything to pick apart anyway...even if he is put out that you won't let him use your ladder. If he's the kind that will try to make something up, I'd climb right up alongside him (on your ladder) to watch him.

This world is sue-happy. Lending your ladder could end your business. Likely? No. Possible? Yep...and therefore not worth it.

Billct2

A no win situation.
Say yes and all the remote possibilities mentioned are hanging over your head.
Say no and he's got a grudge against you.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Let him use it and then show up at his office and ask him to move away from his desk so you can use his computer to fill out all the needed paperwork for the permit.

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry, but if a codes officer would hold something as stoopid as his inability to do his job over my head, I'd report his a$$ and make a written complaint about the city, municipality or whatever... sending morons out on jobs not properly equipped to do their job.

They hold us to a standard to do this stuff right, they should be held to the same standards. Come without your tools ?? Go the f*ck home, buddy, and stop wasting my time. Get it right next time, or I'll file a written complaint about your attitude on top of the rest.

Someone not doing their job cannot and should not make you feel like you might be taken to the cleaners. I don't have it with codes officers, but it certainly rasies its ugly frickin' head often enough in other places. I can't tell ya how many inadequate people can't do their jobs and want to hold someone else hostage for their shortcomings. The buck stops here. Do your job, buster and do it right, or you'll be out looking for a new one soon enough.

:Oops: rant over.

skyhigh

Liability now takes into account what the call Assumed Risk. Pretty hard to hold you liable should he fall. Should your ladder have a broken rung, may be a different story.

ive never had an inspector climb a ladder or open a cabinet. Lucky if they get out of the car.

Mainframe

I'm with Pat on this one! While he is on your ladder ask him if he minds if you run for coffee and by the way would he like one?
Just saying, not many things better than a "sign off"