• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

install cast cut vinyl on painted concrete ceiling

bigben

So I have a installation tomorrow. I have a bunch of cut vinyl (cast material) that will go on a painted concret ceiling inside and office. I just know now it is concrete (was in the idea it would be drywall). The overall surface is fairly smooth. Does the adhesion will work and can I use a regular squeegee like I would do on drywall? Does a tool like rollpro or the 3M TSA-1 is a must have?

Thanks.

bigben

I just went to my supplier and bought a rollepro. Hope everything will work well tomorrow...

bigben

Return that thing and get a TSA-4.
I mean depending on the size of you job and the type of cast vinyl you are using, the payoff can be significant. We did two ATM's with a very rough, stucco like texture on them using a heat gun and a rollepro. It was the worst, running my hand into the gun, running my knuckles into the surface. The TSA will hold the gun for you and the foam pad is just plain magic on stuff like ij-180 and 480. When we got another 6 ATM's just like it to wrap, we went and got the expensive one.
But for what you get, the $400 or so dollars is crazy overpriced, but so is the rollepro...

No one in my area had the 3m models in stock. My install is mainly 3in wide band that is maximum 8ft long. I have also few cut vinyl that are 15in x 72in and 28inx28in. I hope the rollepro will do the trick for this job.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Installing vinyl on a variety of surfaces has become considerably sophisticated over the years. While it is possible to do just about anything with a squeegee and a propane torch, specialty tools and techniques have been developed that drastically cut down the time needed to accomplish the task. Both the RollePro and the TSA-4 are indispensible for their intended applications when time savings are considered. With more and more vinyl installation experts coming on the scene, it is unlikely a shop will be competitive without the necessary training and tools.

I started wrapping vehicles and walls in the mid '90s using "Busmark" printed calendered vinyl. I was elated when air egress and ControlTac technologies became available, and vehicle wrapping became an even larger part of our business. I take some pride in that we were pioneers in vinyl wrapping, and developed quite a reputation.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum, however. As printing became cheaper and cheaper, installers started crawing out of the woods, and before long competing shops had set up that were able to do this work for far less cost than we could. Truck trailer companies began developing custom bays and application equipment that expanded access (less ladders and scaffolds), specialized equipment began to appear that revolutionized application, but most importantly certain people got really damn good at this; much, much better and faster than I ever dreamed possible.

At this stage of the game, I realize I simply cannot compete with these nimble, talented installers. If you ever watch a wrap competition, these guys are not only installation wizards, but world class athletes. There's no sense for me even trying, so I source out my wrap work. I still do the designs, but the actual installation is best handled by this emerging talent pool.

Last edited: