• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Install Large Graphics Solo

jfiscus

Rap Master
Just use air-release vinyl if you think there is a chance that it wont work. For the couple more pennies/ft of material, I use it for 99% of all printed projects anymore. The much less errors & faster install time make your money back quick...

skyhigh

Have to agree with everyone else here. If you can't apply at least a 4'x8' sheet, dry, by yourself, you're in the wrong business.

651? I must be in the wrong business. Wish someone would have told me that 17 years ago. :Big Laugh

ehhh maybe. Now if your talking "air release", heck ya.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
In spite of what Bob says if you are doing a bunch of these or doing them multiple times a specialized tool will save you time, money & frustration.
We have a recurring order to install about 100 40"x45" window posters spread out over 11 locations.
These are full color prints on intermediate vinyl with no air release, premask or lamination.
We cut a piece of 10mm coro and covered one edge with some 1/2 aluminum channel wrapped in velcro about an 1"wider than the width of the graphic graphic.
One guy can fold back the top 2 inches of the backer and stick it into place on the glass - slide the tool down the graphic allowing the backer to fall away with very little effort.
We use a piece of aluminum extrusion as a jig setting on the bottom of the window frame to marked to quickly center and evenly space the graphic on the window.
With a little practice a minimum wage guy can do this without bubbles or wrinkles.
Time needed and finished quality over someone trying to lay a premasked or wet graphic down with a 6" squeegee is not even a contest.

wayne k
guam usa

SignProPlus-Chip

Looking for tips to install large (54˝ x 36˝) calendared vinyl graphics, bubble/wrinkle-free, on windows. Sometimes I'm without an assistant (it ain't that easy, even then). I usually peel back the first inch or so of backing, adhere that (dry), and peel the rest of the backing about a foot at a time and soak the material and window, burnishing as we go.

The assistant is holding the material up while I squirt/peel/burnish. Even with help, I've still gotten some wrinkles— especially at the end. Tips for doing this solo, or even a better job with help, much appreciated.

Everything I do is printed on Oracal Rapid Air, or 3M ControlTac. Typically installs up to 4x8 foot are done solo. I just installed some 5x5' graphics on windows, nice and bubble free. :)

I hinge the vinyl horizontally down the middle, apply the bottom first, then the top. If the graphics are not laminated I make sure they have transfer on them so the vinyl doesn't stretch or distort. Install was done dry with 4" felt squeegee...two windows from start to finish was about 30 minutes.

Sometimes it's hard to say what someones specific issue with bubbles or wrinkles may be without watching them. It sounds like your doing everything just fine. You could be trying to squeegee down too fast, using too much app fluid, etc...

I take my time, plan ahead (transfer tape), and make sure my graphic is secured with more than just the tape hinge so nothing shifts by accident.

I hope some of my rambling can be found useful ;)