Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

install new wrap over old?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by FASTSIGNS, Oct 31, 2019.

1. FASTSIGNS

FASTSIGNS Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    We have a customer that has 2 old vans that need new graphics. Do we have to remove the old? What is the downside if we just install new full wrap over old full wrap? The vans are in ok shape and the customer is not going to repaint or fix minor dents if the old wrap is removed. TIA!

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    It's only going to be as good as the wrap underneath it. If it's a van, I would suggest removing it. If it's 2 years old it shouldn't be that hard.

I've wrapped over existing vinyl before.. but that was for box trucks and the underlying wrap was still OK

3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    Is this the suggested way, NO
    Can you do it, YES
    MAKE SURE they sign a waiver about the limitations of covering/applying to old vinyl BEFORE you start anything.

4. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    I wouldn't simply because as soon as that old vinyl starts to fail, your new one will too. Also, what about shrinkage rates? I would assume the old wrap has shrunk about as much as it's going to, but the new one, not so much. Not sure how well that'll go.

5. FASTSIGNS

FASTSIGNS Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    More info....the old wrap is 7 years old. Very crispy! Meaning won't be easy to get off.

6. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I'm an idiot... I thought I read "2 years old" not "2 old vans" lol

7. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Just don't do it. Since the wrap is 7 yrs old, crispy is probably a good way to describe it. If it has been in the Florida sun and has started cracking and burning, I would not trust putting anything on top of it. Because if it doesn't work well and anyone asks who did it, the customer won't say "I cheaped out and had this one installed over the old one even though the sign company recommended against it." Instead they'll just tell people who did it and it will not reflect well on your company. Just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    nope

9. DoubleDiamond

DoubleDiamond Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Texas
    We have and the customer takes all the risk. One thing is the vehicles will most likely not be in service for too many more years. We usually cut about an inch or two back so the edges are firmly attached. Then lightly sand and then use acetone then 3M primer in places. We also overlay several real estate signs, but not so much any more due to the failure. Some of this is due to the matte lam that is textured and calandered shrinks, but cast on a van should be OK, but the customer needs to take the risk. DD

10. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Downsides -

You don't know what vinyl was used before hand. If it's a cheap 5 year vinyl, and the wrap is 7 years old... It could.fsil at anytime taking your wrap with it.

Vinyl gets brittle in the cold and cracks - old vinyl especially so. Once that vinyl beneath starts cracking... It'll take your vinyl with it.

Wraps are designed with the surface energy of painted metal in mind. We've re-applied vinyl overtop some 4x8s for a customer... And within 5 months it started peeling off. Laminate has a bunch of properties to prevent UV, be semi anti graffiti resistant, etc. The surface energy on a wrapped vehicle is much lower than on a non wrapped... So even if the old wrap was brand new... Your new wrap is not going to stick as well as it should.

You get paid by the hour to remove wraps, it sucks... But it's the customers problem. We'd never re wrap a vehicle.... Even if the customers aware it might last a month and is ok with the risk, the second it looks like crap and someone asks where it got done... Your company is thrown under the bus.

It's just not worth it. Some jobs are meant for passing on... This is one of them. Tell them your hourly rate for removal, or ask them to bring it in fully removed. I wouldn't touch it as is though.

11. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Don't wrap over it, remove it.

• Agree Agree x 1