• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Install question

jason_hamilton

I have recently started doing installs for some of the things I have printed in our wide format area, with moderate success. The largest piece I have installed was 14 tiles over about 55 feet. I was pleased over all with my line up, but it was not perfect. Luckily, this particular piece was forgiving in the line up areas. I have an upcoming install that is going to be FAR more critical. I have done the best I can with the layout to minimize, but I still have some pretty tight spots to hit. I have a few places that are going to be rows of 1" triangles that I need to get right. One of the installers we were using before I started trying to take care of it made a passing reference to my boss about using premask to help with line up. My boss did not get further information, but passed this on to me. I am not entirely sure what he meant by this. The only real reference I can find to using premask for a wall mural install is to protect the art if it is not laminated. My best guess is that he means to cover the entire piece with premask to add some "stability" to the pieces to keep them from stretching during installation. Am I on the right track as to what he meant, or am I missing something all the way around? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jason L. Hamilton

2B

when using pre-mask make sure you use a clear version so you can see through to allow the different point to be lined up correctly.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You can do a good job with normal pre-mask....just mask the prints leaving 1/4" or so along the edges for alignment.