Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

install sign post in concrete or asphalt

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by bigben, Nov 19, 2020.

1. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    What is the ''standard'' way to install a metal u-post in concrete or asphalt? I have a post driver for soft ground, but there is no way it would work in concrete or asphalt. How should I proceed or what tool I need? Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Either a small jack hammer or a large SDS type of core drill. They can go up to 6" diameter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Rent a core drill from Home Depot, bring water hose and some quick set concrete or epoxy to fill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. pjfmeister

pjfmeister Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Missouri
    I've banged several of these directly through asphalt with our post drivers....we have oversized custom made post drivers to drive them through our rocky hard ground and usually the asphalt is the easy part to get through HA. Concrete I would say you are out of luck without cutting the concrete.

5. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Thanks for the info. I see often on the road that post seems just stick directly in asphalt or concrete. I was wondring how they to that.

6. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Core drill a hole with a 4 inch bit, install the post then put concrete in the hole.

8. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I use an SDS drill and fill it back with concrete.

9. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    If its only a few to be installed in concrete, look into the bold down bases, way less expensive then renting a core drill or hiring a company.

For asphalt if you have a sleeve pounder it should go through it relatively easily. But if you have a bunch, do yourself a favour and rent a gas powered post pounder!

10. Simon Nussbaum

Simon Nussbaum Beautiful Signs for a Better Planet

If you're in a cold area with the asphalt you can heat it up with blow torch first and then pound through. Save some time and it looks cleaner. For concrete I agree with canuck, the bases are a good way to go. For concrete it's always smart to know if there is anything structural going on with where you are installing and if it is pre-stressed or not. If it's just a pad do whatever but be careful in parking garages, etc., about drilling too deep.