• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Install Signs Level and Perpendicular on Clapboard Siding

schlimmerkerl

This being New England, we often have to install a sign on clapboard siding. We frequently use aluminum cleats for a nice appearance. This means we have to shim out the cleat that goes on the building, which, in addition to not being the strongest installation, is a lot of extra work. Short of manufacturing our own — board, clip, etc.—, is there a standard product available? Thanks very much.

Moze

Assuming you're talking about panels of some sort, have you considered using a frame out of 1" square aluminum tube? The vertical ends could span the siding which would keep the sign plumb. Mount the frame, mount the sign to the frame. Should be pretty easy.

schlimmerkerl

@Moze. Thanks for your reply. The problem is that one course of boards overlays the next causing an angle equal to the thickness of the previous course. So any material used as a spacer/shim is necessarily at that angle (I'm working n a drawing of this) and not perpendicular.

TimToad

attachment.php

I don't know if maybe we're all overthinking this thing. We just put this up last week on cedar shake shingle and I cut a 1/2" thick piece of MDO about 6 inches smaller than the sign and mounted the PanelClip Z channels to it and the back of the sign in the shop. We first mounted the MDO panel on the building level and straight, spanning several rows of shingles, then hung our sign, secured it with one set screw hidden in the crotch of the letter A in Congregational and called it done.

Doing it this way, does give you a little standoff, but that seems like a small sacrifice to know that it is evenly perpendicular to the wall.

Some might question the use of the MDO instead of aluminum tubing, but frankly, a good primed and painted piece of outdoor plywood will certainly last as long as the sign does and the ease with which it went up can't be denied.

Attachments

• Plymouth Cong Church 2.jpg
    Plymouth Cong Church 2.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 51

Billct2

Like Moze said you can mount a nailer to the wall first that bridges the spaces, doesn't matter where you fasten it.
You can use aluminum tube, PT 2x4 or MDO. Then the sign gets attached to this.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 58

schlimmerkerl

@TimToad and Billct2. Yes, famous for over thinking, usually at 3 a.m. Anyway, thanks very much for the very good solutions, drawings, etc. which I'll definitely try next time out— though I will prime the heck out of that MDO.