• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation Help!! - Large Acrylic Signs !

Ed's Sign

Edward S.
Hello Signs101 Members,

I am looking for wall installation suggestions for the following sizes:

- Custom Die-Cut (Oval shape) Acrylic Sign 58"H x 45.6"W x 0.5" thick.
  • We're replacing an old wooden sign that was previously hung like a picture frame (hook and cable).
Standoffs are my usual go-to but since this is a custom die-cut shape, Im at a blank! :banghead:

and rectangluar acrylic signs 0.125" acrylic thickness of the following:
- 109"W x 53"H
- 71" x 53"
- 45" x 84"

My concern with the 0.125" thickness signs is that with stand-offs, the acrylic is too flimsy and will be prone to bending. Is going to a thicker size (0.5" thick) my only option?

ams

Don't use acrylic for this... Oh wait I better say "I don't suggest using acrylic for this", might offend people.

reQ

Yeah, skip the acrylic option. I would use 1/4 dibond maybe (if there is no light behind it )

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Hard to say without seeing the sign, but can you just use standoffs?

J Hill Designs

I can't see why stand-off's aren't an option just because its custom shaped...

and 1/8" is waaaaaaay too flimsy for a panel that big

jprbsign

1/8" Alu-Panel

We us 1/8" alu-panel/multi-panel for just about everything that is non-illuminated. It is rigid and cheaper for us than Die-Bond.

MikePro

large-sized acrylics always pose a shatter-risk, especially exterior.
buuuuut 1/2" thick, I don't see what it should be an issue. gonna be heavier than a mf'r tho'. a stand-off in each corner won't cut it.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention 1/8 acrylic will expand and contract like crazy depending on the temperature. Alumalite or Diabond or similar ACM's are a lot more dimensionally stable and would need less stand-offs.

There are multiple ways to install these types of signs and it depends on the wall, future damage concerns, and look.

French cleats
Tape and glue
Stand-offs
Frames
and combinations.

0igo

Hello Signs101 Members,

I am looking for wall installation suggestions for the following sizes:

- Custom Die-Cut (Oval shape) Acrylic Sign 58"H x 45.6"W x 0.5" thick.
  • We're replacing an old wooden sign that was previously hung like a picture frame (hook and cable).
Standoffs are my usual go-to but since this is a custom die-cut shape, Im at a blank! :banghead:

and rectangluar acrylic signs 0.125" acrylic thickness of the following:
- 109"W x 53"H
- 71" x 53"
- 45" x 84"

My concern with the 0.125" thickness signs is that with stand-offs, the acrylic is too flimsy and will be prone to bending. Is going to a thicker size (0.5" thick) my only option?
for these types of signs i go down to mr. plastics in san leandro. they specialize in these types of custom made signs. i know they have locations around the country i would shot them a call.