Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation help

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Aboveallgraphics, May 1, 2013.

1. Aboveallgraphics

Aboveallgraphics Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Hey Gang,

I got a new look for my business (after the drubbing I took for the one I designed.) I need some advice on the best way to install this.
    The sign location is down by the highway about 125 feet across the parking lot underneath the gas prices and moveable copy board that the main business uses. The distance between the poles is ten feet in width. If I use 4x8 material then it will work out to be about 48 x 56 finished size (I intend on cutting it out to shape. I'm gonna make another thread on that issue as well.)

I am thinking just screw a couple of pieces of angle iron between the poles and paint them white and attach the sign to that.
    Also, do you have any ideas to make it bigger to fill in more of the available space?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    put the circle with the A to the left of the name

or you can get a 5x10 of ACM and it will then fit at ~60x70

3. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    You're going to need to build a complete frame due to windload. I would assume you need to get a permit (?). If so, they're going to want to see drawings showing the framing/attachment method is sufficient.

''Above All'' is going to look funny at the bottom of the sign. :)

4. Aboveallgraphics

Aboveallgraphics Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Hey Moze,

Would you please elaborate on what you mean by a full frame?

Thanks

5. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    Something to adequately support the force that wind will induce on the sign. A 4x5ft or 5x6ft "sail" could do major property or personal damage if it gets free in some good wind.

6. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    [SUB]I think I misinderstood your post. For some reason I read it as you were going to install vertical angle iron at the ends and that's all the sign was going to be fastened to.

If you run horizontal angle iron stringers (like I think you meant), you should be fine. If you're attaching to existing steel supports, you're going to have to weld to the existing supports, unless it's I-beam or you otherwise have access to nut-and-bolt it.[/SUB]

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I would design a sign to fit the space, logo on the left, some services & contact on the right

8. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I agree 100%.

9. Aboveallgraphics

Aboveallgraphics Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Thanks Moze. You are correct with the horizontal stringers. So you think welding is the only way to make it sturdy enough?

Bill& Moze....I thought of that too but I really wanna add to the dimensional look by cutting it out to shape ( I started another thread on making it dimensional. I would appreciate it if you would both take a look there and tell me what you think.) Can you tell me of a way to use up the whole space and yet give it a dimensional look?

Thanks.

10. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    If you had a way to through-bolt it, it would be strong enough. Without seeing what the existing supports are (steel tube, I-beam, etc.) it's hard to advise how to attach it. Do you have any photos of the sign?

11. Aboveallgraphics

Aboveallgraphics Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Hey Moze,

It is a square steel tube. I do not have access to the inside to bolt and nut. I'll try to get a picture this weekend.

Thanks.