• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation Insurance

aandrews19

I've been doing some searching, but not really finding the answers I need...

What kind of options are out there to cover my installs. I'm looking to take the next step, but I don't want to touch anyone's property until I'm covered.

What I'd like to get into is vinyl installs on Trucks/Trailers, storefronts, etc. ...as well as some basic sign installs. Nothing crazy.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Workers Compensation, General Liability, Garage Keepers and a personal or company umbrella insurance policies are a good start.

J

john1

a simple business insurance plan with liability is a good start. I have it and i think i only pay $134.50 every 3 months for it. It's 1 mill liability which is more than enough with as small as i am currently. Cover all my equipment in case it gets stolen or a fire occurs as well as keeps me from losing everything if someone is a jerk about something. It's through selective insurance btw

2B

We have the small business plan through Farmers, this is a 2 mil coverage, this covers medical, installation damage, basically the works plus compensation for your down time is something were to happen for 100 a month.

OhioSignShop

Check with your City Hall or County Building department. They have all the costly details. You are basically considered a General Contractor and need to abide by all the state building codes for sign installation. We have to obtain a Sign Contractors License here–two 4 hour tests from ProMetric, 4+ years experience, examples of work, go in front of a board of review and finally have insurance. That license will give us the pleasure of paying other towns a yearly fee to obtain THEIR General Contractors License if we install a sign in their town. This is all upfront cost prior to being issued a "Sign Permit". Permit fees are based on size and type of sign. Some require stamped engineer approved drawings for foundation, wind load, structure etc. Some small townships charge several hundred dollars for a temporary sign permit YEARLY plus a security bond of up to $500 (Jefferson Township for example here in central Ohio), If you dont take the sign down or renew the permit they keep the bond. This all for a $500 4x8 MDO or plywood sign mind you. A major rip off for business and I'm surprised they get away with it.