• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation of composite aluminium panels on exterior walls

AylmerSigns

Good morning!

I was wondering if you guys had any tips and tricks on how to install composite aluminium panel to the outside of a building, without having screws/bolts showing, yet without having a full frame around the sign?

Thanks for everything, as always!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Aluminum angle or c channel is how we have done many like this. Stick a couple of pieces to the back of the sign with VHB tape. Attach two more pieces to the wall. This crude quickie drawing shows what I mean.... Of course size will dictate certain things. For a very big sign you might need some center bracing or more surface area of the aluminum angle stuck to the back of the sign with VHB tape. Also need to make sure you are using the right type of high bond tape for the job, there are a lot of different types for different uses....

Attachments

• install1.jpg
    install1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 151
Aside from the already mentioned solutions, you could also drill holes and countersink them to accept countersink screws, then cover the hole locations with small cut vinyl circles maybe .5" in diameter that match the vinyl on the sign. It's not a perfectly clean look as you'll see some slight dimples where the countersinks are, but you'll never see them from 10 feet away or better.

d fleming

Just me but I would use Lord's adhesive for mounting hardware to sign and mechanically fasten mount to building.I would also consider using a french cleat top and bottom for easier mounting to building and maybe a couple of small pieces of angle on one side to stop any possible sliding. VHB is great stuff but I would not trust it to be the only thing holding significant weight in the air. But I've been told I tend to kill a mosquito with an ax also.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It primarily depends on what the wall surface is. If it's relatively flat and VHB adheres well to it, I would have no hesitation using VHB tape and Lexel. Once the Lexel cures, I promise it's not going anywhere.

neil_se

Most of the time we just paint the fixings. If the customer is willing to spend what it takes to have no face fixings, then fix a subframe to the wall and have the panel fold around the sides of the frame. VHB tape onto the face of the frame and rivet to the returns.