• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation of Plastic lettering ... need information asap

Hop1022

Here are the details ... 96 total letters, 15" tall and the install is on the outside of an outdoor gym wall. The customer has purchased the letters and the templates for drilling the holes from someone else, so all we are doing is the install. The project is 30 feet in the air, so we would need to rent a lift. Not sure on the amount of time this is going to take, or what to even begin to charge for it. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

reQ

You took the job without giving your customer even bulk price? That is not good to begin with lol. Don't know how much does it cost to rent a lift in your area, but a bucket truck with 2 ppl for example, should be at least 150/hour. What kind of letters? Just extruded plastic? Aluminum? With LED?

Everything whats up in the air, will cost good chunk on money, its why you should always discuss price tag with customer.

Mosh

That is going to be around 400 holes to be drilled. two guys and a lift $200 and hour. I would guess 8-10 hours total. That would be an hour for pattern layout and set up, then figure 5 minutes a letter. Tell them cost plus, but at least 8 hours.

Hop1022

I was sucked in to posting this thread like lips to spaghetti ..... :) I know that there is much more for me to learn about this site and entire process, since I am brand new and my boss is having me try to gain this information while he is out of the office, so I appreciate all of your help and responses.

Stucco on top of metal is the gym wall. They call the letters 'channel letters' - in reality they are large cutouts made of a heavier plastic type material, but to be installed the same way as channel letters I am told.

J Hill Designs

They call the letters 'channel letters' - in reality they are large cutouts made of a heavier plastic type material, but to be installed the same way as channel letters I am told.

with channel letters, you take the face off, screw the letter to the wall, then put the face back on

these sound like they are stud mounted - drill holes, put studs in letter, add silicone to holes & studs, push letter to wall

petepaz

definitely need more info as already asked by others but the job it self is not hard just time/labor.
lift renatal + travel time+ set up time + pattern set up+ drilling time + install + clean up. also with that size area you will have to move the lift a few times and these things do not move so quick and takes time to get them in to position. if you haven't used one that much or at all you will have a learning curve getting it in to position (not rocket science but it takes time and time is money) if you haven't done this before you a looking at a good 8-10 hours for two guys

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hate to bring this up, cause I always get hammered for it, but...................

Do you have any insurance to do this kinda work ?? Generally 2 to 3 million is a MUST.
Are your helpers also insured ??
Did you obtain a permit to do such work ??

Why are you entertaining doing something you know absolutely nothing about ??

If these are channel letters, are they internally lit ??
Now you need licensing, also.

Marlene

I was sucked in to posting this thread like lips to spaghetti ..... :) I know that there is much more for me to learn about this site and entire process, since I am brand new and my boss is having me try to gain this information while he is out of the office, so I appreciate all of your help and responses.

Stucco on top of metal is the gym wall. They call the letters 'channel letters' - in reality they are large cutouts made of a heavier plastic type material, but to be installed the same way as channel letters I am told.

channel letters and cut plastic letters are two different things. "heavier" plastic meaning thickness? are there studs in the back that go into the wall? do you have the letters? if so, take a picture of them and post as that would be helpful. how are the patterns set up? are the letters set up on lines of copy and are the patterns all one piece or many patterns? it takes time tape up the patterns and get them all straight

Rocco G

This sounds like Gemini type formed letters? Drilling into a metal building will be less effort than into a brick wall. Hopefully it's not some sort of stone with a random texture. Knowing what you are going to install these into will help. Do you have a hammer drill if its masonry? Allow 3-4 extra bits because those little ones break easily.

Let's assume you have the patterns and the letters already are drilled/tapped for the studs. TBH, this sounds like one guy for a long day with a bucket truck, assuming you are used to working up in the air and assuming you can drive right up to the wall. Also, allow at least two-three tubes of silicone for filling the holes. Go to the Gemini website and they'll have info on installing pin mounted plastic letters.

If you aren't used to working up in the air, then have them rent a 45' boom lift for you and someone to work out of. Call the local United Rentals, etc to get a cost on a lift. Get the quote in writing and make sure that the include delivery/pick, fuel, applicable tax, etc. They will give you a price of $xxx per day when you call, but it doesn't include everything.

In any case, make sure you wear a safety harness, gloves, goggles, etc while in the bucket up in the air. Getting a fine from OSHA will cost you far more than you will make on a bunch of these jobs.

Mosh

Geno is correct...insurance? Permits pulled? Yes I will bet you need a permit! In my town that is $40, so add that in there.

Mosh

Noobs to the site are like "what is up with all the soybean references" They are missing out, I don't drink in the day time anymore...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Noobs to the site are like "what is up with all the soybean references" They are missing out, I don't drink in the day time anymore...

So.....??

I know a guy who starts drinking around 6:30 in the evening. He continues to drink til about 4 or so in the morning. He slumps down, sleeps it off til about 2 pm. Gets up, eats. Checks his e-mails and starts up again around 6 or 6:30.... everyday, like clockwork. He's on disability by the state and is paid to stay home, not work and makes boo-koo bucks and his drink is a 5th of Gin every night. His rent and utilities are practically paid for, too.

So.... what's your point ?? You don't drink in the daytime anymore ??

Billct2

Stucco over metal? Steel? Flat steel?
Wow, you really need to get more info on this to get a good answer.

petepaz

basically just put all the info above together and when you get done answering all the questions and figuring all the work out probably better off(and safer) having someone else do the job.
everyone has to start somewhere but this may not be the job to start with

Hop1022

you guys are all cracking me up ...
I'd actually punt on the job too if it were me, but since it's basketball season (GO BADGERS!!!) I am needing to stay the course and continue to gather information, which you are all so wonderfully are providing for me.
I will get more details on my end when my boss gets back ... so until then, continue to advise as you see fit.
And a good Bourbon, Rye or Vodka, would be my drink of choice. :cool:
Mary