• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation Question

ZsVinylInc

Hey everyone. I have a customer that wants to use a scroll Bracket to hang a sign on their business. The only problem is that the building has vinyl siding on it. I am not sure how to approach the install of a bracket like this on that type of material. I know how to install it if it were on brick or block but not siding. Looking for any tips or tricks that anyone might have. I am not sure if I am even doing the install yet as they haven't decided on that part but just thought I would get ahead of the game if they really want me to do the install. Thanks in advance.

Big Z

Attachments

• ScrollBracket.jpg
    ScrollBracket.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 123

Malkin

Since there is generally plywood behind the siding to bite into, I would install as normal, including guy wires. Hardware choice is galvanized lags.

ZsVinylInc

Thanks for all of the info so far. I guess My concern is with the siding being not flat that the bracket wouldn't get good enough support.

JR's

someone just a little while had a thread about something you could have on the vinyl siding to make it flat try to search for it.

JR

ZsVinylInc

Thanks guys those are the kinda of things I am looking for. Probably more like what Phototec's link shows as I don't have to worry about removing or cutting any siding. I appreciate all of the help guys.

ova

If you don't know how thick the building walls are, you might want to find out. We did an install on a new construction. Was told there was nothing in the walls except insulation. I wasn't satisfied so I checked the drawings. Found out there was wiring located where we planned on mounting the menu board. Had to move it a couple of inches to miss them. If the walls are 2x6 wood or 2x4 metal, chances are whatever fastener you use will reach to the center of the stud.

Even if you're told the wiring is running in the floor, look up to see if any security lights are in the area. Sometimes these are an add-on and won't show up in the drawings

ZsVinylInc

If you don't know how thick the building walls are, you might want to find out. We did an install on a new construction. Was told there was nothing in the walls except insulation. I wasn't satisfied so I checked the drawings. Found out there was wiring located where we planned on mounting the menu board. Had to move it a couple of inches to miss them. If the walls are 2x6 wood or 2x4 metal, chances are whatever fastener you use will reach to the center of the stud.

Even if you're told the wiring is running in the floor, look up to see if any security lights are in the area. Sometimes these are an add-on and won't show up in the drawings

OVA Thanks for the tip I appreciate it. I will look for those things and keep that in mind. I also have a stud finder that also reads for electric current so that will help as well. With as high up as this is going on the building it will probably be above the ceiling in the building and in the addict area. So I don't think I will have to worry about too much electric but will be cautious. Thanks again.

Big Z

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The easiest way to mount a bracket to a dubious or uneven surface is to cut a length of 2x2 or 2x4, depending, make the cut ends decorative with a arch or something, maybe even finish the edges with a round or an ogee, and fasten that to the wall like a plaque. Then fasten the bracket to this board.