• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation Tip for a trailer

Cordell-Designs

So I'm installing a single color (Oracal 651 Metallic Silver) on the trailer in the picture. I'm wrapping that silver angled metal piece with chrome delete vinyl first, then the main decal goes on after.

My question is will going over that metal strip disfigure the design and how can I get around that? The decal is 8 ft long.

Attachments

• 82924089_489330011720036_5602398956295290880_n.jpg
    82924089_489330011720036_5602398956295290880_n.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 374
  • 82115355_2610297959089044_2657503270573965312_n.jpg
    82115355_2610297959089044_2657503270573965312_n.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 381

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's hard to tell from the photos. I don't know what the graphic looks like either. Really does it even matter because if you can't remove it... it is what it is. Just tell the customer it won't look perfectly flat and if they are super picky about it tell them to buy a normal looking trailer or avoid going over the chrome thing altogether.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a simple box. If they want it silver, why not just paint it ?? Should be a lot cheaper.

Cordell-Designs

That's a simple box. If they want it silver, why not just paint it ?? Should be a lot cheaper.
Are you high? There is a silver decal going on the trailer that goes over the top of the chrome angled piece.

1. I’d use a cast vinyl not calandered

2. If installed properly the graphic will not get “distorted”. Just cut along that bar and finish application to the trailer.

Cast isn't an option at this point, all I have is Oracal 651. I may start to make the change to 751 when ordering new vinyl, seems to be a better option than 651, just more $$$.
I'll get it lined up, add tape reference points, and just cut down the side of the metal trim and just see how it goes. This thing is going to kind of be a nightmare being 8ft long and I have T-Rex arms lol.

Thanks for a real answer instead of just a smartass comment ;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you high? There is a silver decal going on the trailer that goes over the top of the chrome angled piece.

Well,that's not how you originally explained it. A single color silver base. Much easier to paint, unless you are incapable or just wanna bleed the guy dry. But that's your call.

Cast isn't an option at this point, all I have is Oracal 651. I may start to make the change to 751 when ordering new vinyl, seems to be a better option than 651, just more $$$.
I'll get it lined up, add tape reference points, and just cut down the side of the metal trim and just see how it goes. This thing is going to kind of be a nightmare being 8ft long and I have T-Rex arms lol.

Thanks for a real answer instead of just a smartass comment ;)

Smart@ss..... ?? You are too funny. You come here looking for answers, don't get what you want from me, because I didn't understand your gibberish, then you go on to say doing it the right way, using cast is out-of-the-question, cause you don't have it in stock....?? What a fool, you are.

Ahh, yes mr cord.... we need to fill your cavity but our drill is out of order so we'll just drill it with our cordless and fill it with some bondo we happen to have out back. Maybe next time, I'll use the right stuff...... when you're willing to pay for it.​

Cordell-Designs

Well,that's not how you originally explained it. A single color silver base. Much easier to paint, unless you are incapable or just wanna bleed the guy dry. But that's your call.

Smart@ss..... ?? You are too funny. You come here looking for answers, don't get what you want from me, because I didn't understand your gibberish, then you go on to say doing it the right way, using cast is out-of-the-question, cause you don't have it in stock....?? What a fool, you are.

Ahh, yes mr cord.... we need to fill your cavity but our drill is out of order so we'll just drill it with our cordless and fill it with some bondo we happen to have out back. Maybe next time, I'll use the right stuff...... when you're willing to pay for it.​

If you would have read the entire statement you would have noticed "decal" in there. I'm not wrapping the entire trailer in silver metallic vinyl, I'm wrapping the metal angled piece with black, then the decal applied.

751 is out of the question since the decal is being applied on Saturday (I have to order all vinyl and can't have it here by then).

Your website states: "We only use Oracal cast vinyl. " http://cordelldesigns.com/services/

Sounds like you got some explaining to do if a customer finds out they are being lied to

I honestly didn't know that Oracal 651 wasn't cast until reading the comment from Modern Ink Signs and looking into it. I'll be sure to login and change the wording to make you happy.

If you two just want to be dicks, that's cool. Maybe you just want to be right, hell I'll give you that too. I came here for some simple advice on the task at hand. I'm guessing that's just too much to ask for these days. Have a good one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So I'm installing a single color (Oracal 651 Metallic Silver) on the trailer in the picture. I'm wrapping that silver angled metal piece with chrome delete vinyl first, then the main decal goes on after.

My question is will going over that metal strip disfigure the design and how can I get around that? The decal is 8 ft long.

For those who could follow that, my deepest sympathies. As for me, I can understand chinese, spanglish, ebonics and most any other backyard jargon, but your run-on sentences with words outta context and wa-a-ay outta order made little to no sense. It's like it was translated by a seeing eye dog. Calling me and others names, because you can't form a sentence or make any sense in a world you think you work in...... and then say after all these years, you didn't know what 651 was/is, is just pathetic, to say the least. You know/knew exactly what you were saying, but no one else does. You tend to think throwing sh!t at the fan and hoping something sticks is a good MO. I guess for you it is, but coming from a total d!ckwad is just so unbecoming..... even for a young novice.

Cripes, I musta read that thing a half dozen times and I still couldn't figure it out. That's why I said it's cheaper to paint it then to wrap it. But nooooo, mr know-it-all knows better, but can't figure out how to put 651..... ah 751 on without distorting anything. No pictures, no insight no nothing......

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Hey Cordell

Just curious, why can’t you get 751 in time for your install? Most vendors that carry Oracal should be able to get it to you next day! If not look at getting a new vendor!

As far as cost goes, the amount of vinyl you are using to black out that chrome strip 651>751 might be what +$40(ish)

Not trying to be ..... but your site does state that you use Cast Oracal. Hey but what you do is your choice.

Others will disagree with me but I only use CAST vinyl for vehicles. That is >>MY<< choice and I’ve been doing this since 1988. This is my profession and livelihood and I won’t do it any other way......

Cordell-Designs

Hey Cordell

Just curious, why can’t you get 751 in time for your install? Most vendors that carry Oracal should be able to get it to you next day! If not look at getting a new vendor!

As far as cost goes, the amount of vinyl you are using to black out that chrome strip 651>751 might be what +$40(ish)

Not trying to be ..... but your site does state that you use Cast Oracal. Hey but what you do is your choice.

Others will disagree with me but I only use CAST vinyl for vehicles. That is >>MY<< choice and I’ve been doing this since 1988. This is my profession and livelihood and I won’t do it any other way......

I normally get my vinyl from Fellers, if I were to order it today/tonight it might be here tomorrow but most likely Monday. I've already scheduled with the customer for Saturday morning (I'm cutting the decals tonight). This isn't my "profession" per say (I'm a systems admin / pc tech by day), this is just a side job for some extra money. The market around here I can't see sustaining a family of 4 very well working out of a basement (I could be wrong).

I ordered Avery Dennison 4in x 75ft Gloss Black Vinyl Roll for Car Chrome Delete Vehicle Wrap ($50 Amazon) to cover the chrome strip. Per your suggestion / recommendation as time goes by I'll be replacing my 651 rolls with 751 and 751RA series vinyl. 99% of my work is on vehicles.

Website has already been changed since it was brought to my attention (like I said, I didn't realize it wasn't cast until it was brought to my attention).

Thanks again for the knowledge.

ikarasu

1 - I'd vinyl instead of Paint it... I can't fault op for that. I vinyl for a living, not paint.... I know I can do a good job with vinyl, where as with paint it'd probably look like crap coming from me. Paint has its benefits.... But so does vinyl. If the customer I happy with the price, I dont see it being a ripoff or scamming / over charging the customer.

2 - id never use calandered on a vehicle, a d I wouldn't advertise I only use cast when I don't. not knowing 651 isnt a cast.akes it worst. There's no problem with doing wraps as a side gig... But If you don't know what the main material you use is.... How can you do the job properly? Take some courses, work at a sign shop... Do something to increase your knowledge if You want to keep doing wraps.

I would t goto harbor freight, buy a spray gun and offer to spray paint peoples cars with zero knowledge what I'm doing. But it sometimes fees like that's what people on S101 do with vinyl... Buy a used plotter for $200 on Craigslist and then offer car wraps.

You need to crawl before you can walk. Have you ever applied an 8 ft decal with no air egress on a smooth metal vehicle before? You're going to have one hell of a Saturday if not....

How to do it without it distorting? You can't. But the eye adjusts... If the vinyl is on the raised bar, you'll only notice it from 6" away. That said calander vinyl shrinks... So.when you cut it at the bar, which you have to do... In a few months to a year it'll shrink And you'll see the under color.

Part of being a good company is seeing the obstacles and designing around them. Ie: big 5" bar? Don't design a face to land on it. I don't know what your graphics are, or how complex they are... But hopefully you designed around the vehicle.

I usually despise wet Install for anything aside from window installs... But in your case, I'd look up wet installs if you don't do them...

Last edited:

visual800

First off placing a decal on the trailer over the angled strip will not distort the image, it is what it is and it has to stay. If you are covering angled piece with vinyl to hide it it should be just fine. As far as what vinyl you use thats your business and that is not a question you asked when you posted this.

When you are doing decals or painting stuff going over elements on trailers or vehicles is better than trying to work around them, it will be just fine in the end

This Avery Dennison chrome delete material that you mention is cast material, SW900 to be exact. Putting calendered over cast is a big no no. You'd better find an excuse to reschedule this job and order the right vinyl or you'll wish you'd done this right the first time.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.