Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Installed ACM Price Check

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Greenlight signs, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    So, i feel like the sign industry in my area is priced to not make a dime to compete with other shops in my area. I quoted 3m 1j35c w/ laminate mounted to a 4' x 10' sheet of Max-Metal (ACM) with rounded corners. No illumination. This would be installed overhead to the front of the building. Since my company does not have a bucket truck. i raised my hourly rate to include the cost of a towable lift for 4 hours which turns out not to be much. I sent it over to the customer telling him the price didn't include taxes or permits. Im going to catch hell for this from other people but whatever. The price was around $650 installed and that doesn't include the taxes and permits. I honestly feel like that is too low but i also feel to be competitive with other companies i have to price it like that. Any advice or what do you think?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    you are right down the road from me I think auburn opelika area you could charge more than I could here in my town I think your price is ok but in the future similiar installs and signage you might want to tack another $150 or so onto it

3. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    I use to quote it toward that range but then i found out other shops were selling it for roughly half the price makes you wonder how can you build a company based on that.

4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    The price range in my area could be as low as $700 and as high as $1500. I'd be at $1350+tax. If they call around they will get lower, but I'm not starving for orders so it depends on how hungry you are.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Hahahaaa..... I thought that was an 'R' at first and thought that was an odd name.

I think it's too cheap, especially when renting equipment. The panel itself is at least 5 bills, plus time, equipment and profit. Y'all are cheap down there, like you mentioned. Is that thing laminated at that price ??

6. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I personally don't think you should spend a minutes thought about what other shops are charging, if you can make your shop rate, material cost plus markup, rental cost plus markup, that's all that matter to me.
    If what you need to make is too high and lose the job, that's not a product/service you need to focus on.
    If you're lower and get the job, good, you're competitive on a product/service that is a profitable part of your business & you will end up getting more of them.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Too many shops try and be competitive and lowball the least profitable products of their business and
    then make it up by "gouging" on the profitable projects.
    Focus on the most profitable part, be as competitive as you can, get more of those projects & let you competition
    have all the banner and coro jobs they want.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'd push my warranty or at least expected lifetime hard if you are priced high. "How long did company x tell you your sign would look good? Did they tell you they were encapsulating the print within a UV protective film to maximize the lifetime of the colors?"
    I know you're not asking about art input, but whey adding a border onto a radiused rectangle, do not just copy and paste the first radius and scale it down by 2 inches. You need to do an actual contour inward to keep the corner from looking like it was done by a 4 year old.
    Sorry, just my biggest annoyance with other shops around town.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    We talk about this all the time, trying to compete with the cheapest guy just to get the work is a race to the bottom. If at the end of the day you made the sign, installed it and then gave the customer $100 just to get the work something is wrong. What is your "nut" to keep the doors open, do your margins reflect that. Every shop is different.

10. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    yes it includes laminate. the price should be 850+ but if i was to quote that then i wouldn't get the job. Might not get it at the price i quoted either. the market around here seems to be **** for these type of signs.

11. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    this is not finalized art. most likely the customer will just be doing a white rectangle with the art.

12. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    after all of my costs to produce said sign i'm profiting 150ish. but after i take out the time doing the drawing for the city and other things there is not much left.

13. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    im doing this part time with the hope of doing it full time when i can keep steady work coming thru the door.

14. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    This is not the job for you. You're in the business to make $$. At a very minimum you need to double your costs.

15. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    exactly. the only issue i see is with me possibility not doing the job is losing any other job this customer has

16. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I would go out on a limb and say that would be a limited loss. Usually small businesses order a sign once and that's it. Barber shops, just to be honest, are usually strapped for cash and shop aggressively solely on price.

Most of the clients that repeatedly order stuff tend to be manufacturing facilities or large companies... not mom-and-pop shops.

Don't feel bad about not making money. If you can't make money on them on the first order, what makes you think you'll make money on future ones?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yo.... greenlight. I tried to send you a PM, but you won't allow people to have access to do so. What gives ??

18. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Heh. I thought it said Royal Klutz.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    i didnt know that was a issue. how do if fix it?

20. Greenlight signs

Greenlight signs Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Opelika, Alabama
    i think its fixed now.