• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing 14ft banner on square posts

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I like this idea too. Or without a pole pocket, running a rope tight between the posts and then using zip strips through the top edge grommets to tie to that rope. Do the same along bottom edge.
View attachment 164988
It will look much better with a pocket on the top and bottom for the ropes. With just the zip ties it will pull and bow away from the rope where there are no zip ties. You can tension the banner with cords in the 4 corner grommets pulling it into the posts. If you are worried about the top rope coming down you could drop a cord down from the bottom rail to act as a lanyard on each post's inside edge but I don't think you'd need it with some good boy scout/sailor knots on the ropes.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Home depot sells black, rubber bungee cords... those will grip to the poles. Whatever you do, don't warranty the banner or the installation.

gnubler

Bueno. I don't warranty any banners, period.

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. Thought this would be a simple job, but it never is.

Billct2

We had a job on an historic building to put a banner between huge wood pillars on the front portico. We used ratchet straps on the columns and then bungeed the banner taut between them. Worked well

gnubler

Had a dream about this install last night, where I showed up for the job and was led into a quonset hut type of building with a wire clothesline on a pulley system, and was told to hang the banner from that. I said it was supposed to go between two sign posts outside so traffic could see it and the person in my dream just shrugged and walked away.

Ack!

JBurton

Signtologist
Had a dream about this install last night, where I showed up for the job and was led into a quonset hut type of building with a wire clothesline on a pulley system, and was told to hang the banner from that. I said it was supposed to go between two sign posts outside so traffic could see it and the person in my dream just shrugged and walked away.

Ack!
Ambien really helps me at night. Haven't had a dream I recall in a number of years...

Scotchbrite

No comment
No way I'd want to put a bunch of screw holes in the steel structure. Put extra grommets in the ends of the banner and lace rope around the pole thru the grommets. Looks like you could throw a line over each end of the horizontal bars holding the little display keeping the lines to the outside of the display, not over the face of it. I'd use a mesh banner.

Zip ties will eventually break. And I'd never recommend wind slits. I've done this before with stainless bands (Flags USA) and stainless steel brackets (Grimco has them). (I've mounted .080 parking signs this way--I didn't want to drill into metal posts.) I didn't want to pay for a banding tool, so I got the "slotted" steel bands (like radiator hose clamps). Then I screwed a screw eye into each bracket and hooked up heavy duty bungee cords to keep the banner taut and absorb wind gusts. I also used some wire (with plenty of slack) in case a bungee failed (but it never happened) so a loose corner flapping around wouldn't shred the banner. The key is to sew some nylon webbing with an O- or D-ring in each corner. Also, you have to allow space for the bungee cords. A 14' banner between 2 posts 14' apart doesn't work. Make the banner 11' long. If the bungees are too long tie some knots in them. Actually, you can also get away with mounting bungees to 1 side only.

gnubler

Good ideas, but way too much work for a temporary banner. The customer had a budget limit and I hit it, and that's that. During the install all I could think about was this video.

gnubler

Buried in my "Bad Idea" folder. When I got to the site the ground was severely sloped and the customer wanted it hung up as high as possible. Did the best I could, but my inner pessimist has serious doubts. Told him if it fails he can hang it on the building instead.