• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing 14ft banner on square posts

gnubler

Installing a 14ft wide banner between sign posts, see pic. What's the best way to tie it so it doesn't slip down? I was thinking about using heavy duty zip strips to wrap around the posts tight. This will be a 2-sided banner printed on 18oz material, edges hemmed for extra strength. Are wind slits needed?

x.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
A few of the 15oz 2'x4' banners I made for the school were put on a chain link fence in the baseball area. The wind zips through violently, banners were fine but the zip ties broke. I was happy to hear the banner didn't tear at the grommets. They moved the banners to another area and they have fine. A bit smaller than the 14' banner you are making.

JBurton

Signtologist
Metal posts.
Tek screw through grommets into frame, of course that is if they want to keep a banner up long term and make holes in the pole covers. Watch out for power wires, you only need a 1" screw.
Windslits aren't a solution, a nice tight banner is. The more whip, the more impact, the more tear on the grommets.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you put enough screws in it to make it work, you're gonna hafta make it about 15' long, if you wanna see the complete other side. Otherwise, just use a 13' banner and some good eye bolts and tie it off between the posts. Use washrope - ROPE and as it gets wet from the rain, it'll automatically tighten itself up everytime it rains.

gnubler

Temporary banner for a construction site, so I want to keep it simple. It's located 50 miles away, so if I'm unable to install screws/eyebolts I want to have a backup plan.

JBurton

Signtologist
Then get Gino's fancy rope, and have a pole pocket up top, use the pole to stiffen it and tie it to the beam above, sides, and you could add another pole pocket on the bottom to keep it taut, but it's not really necessary...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think that banner is too big to go in between those posts. Around here that would rip out even if you fasten it to the poles. Ropes sewn into the top and bottom will help, but it will work loose and start cupping the wind... but maybe the wind isn't bad where you are as it is here.

Johnny Best

Get some 1/8" low stretch solid braid industrial polyester cord and wrap around posts a couple times and put some half hitch knots to pull tight. I would not put holes in a metal post with electric as it shows, its temporary.

visual800

right off the bat I dont like the thought of this install on this pylon sign BUT I would make 2 banners 15oz and make them go all the way to the end of the posts and use tek screws and large washers, NEVER cut wind slits!

The other option would be 4x8 coro on wood posts in front of and behind sign

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If they don't let you use screws, then you're right- zip ties are about your only option. Get the sturdiest looking ones you can.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm not sure if you should screw into the metal. I like the rope idea best.

Is the rope going to slip down the post? Just throwing this out there...could you use rope on the top corners also and get it around that bottom part of the sign just to make sure it doesn't slip down the posts? It might be hard to get the rope tight on a square post. Just a thought.

Johnny Best

That kind of rope I suggested is used for awnings, it does not slip. Very strong and knots hold fast. You have movement, you do not secure a boat to a dock with screws. A sign guy or person, with a battery powered drill and a box of screws are sloppy and destructive.

gnubler

This frickin' banner caused me insomnia last night. Ridiculous! I'm going with the rope ideas, I don't want to drill into the structure. Any thoughts of using ratchet straps to wrap tight around the posts so they don't slip? Then loop rope under the straps to tie to the banner, or incorporate bungee cords. Like Stacey mentioned, there may be some wiggle room on the sides of the LED display to run rope through to tie from above and keep things from slipping down. Job site is pretty remote and a return trip for a faulty install would be a huge PITA.

What have I gotten myself into this time... :rolleyes:

gnubler

Then get Gino's fancy rope, and have a pole pocket up top, use the pole to stiffen it and tie it to the beam above, sides, and you could add another pole pocket on the bottom to keep it taut, but it's not really necessary...
I like this idea too. Or without a pole pocket, running a rope tight between the posts and then using zip strips through the top edge grommets to tie to that rope. Do the same along bottom edge.
Capture.JPG

JBurton

Signtologist
Don't know that I'd count on the zip ties keeping it from sliding and bunching. Ratchet straps would help, but they tend to look tacky.