• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing a 2nd Edge 2 Via USB

Simonst

I'm trying to setup a 2nd Edge 2 in Omega 4.0 on a win 7 pro x64 machine.
I currently have one Edge 2 up and running using a Gerber Parallel to USB cable and I'm trying to setup a 2nd Edge 2 using an identical cable.

When i plug in the 2nd edge 2 the cable shows up in the windows devices page and I setup the printer in GQmgr but when I run GSPPlot and direct the output to the 2nd edge 2 the output goes to the 1st edge 2 instead.

I noticed while setting up the 2nd printer in GQmgr that both cables have the same vendor and product id's do i need a different cable for the 2nd printer? if so can anyone recommend a good 3rd party cable or is there one i need to get from Gerber?

Last edited:

Jase

Have you selected the device in GSPlot? I'm going down the same route as soon as my cable arrives. Would be interested to know how you get on.

Simonst

Yes, my original printer is labeled edge2-1 and i setup the second and labeled it edge2-2. In GSPlot I select edge2-2 and send, it even shows up in the Que for the edge2-2 in GQmgr but the output goes to the first printer edge2-1 instead.

Tony Teveris

I believe there is a problem setting up an Edge I/II using the same Gerber USB cable (type). This is because the cables have the same VID/PID and when GQMgr looks up where the device is (searching the system registry) it uses the first one it finds.

If you had the older Gerber USB to Parallel cable and the new one there would be no problem because the VID/PID are different. I'm not sure if this will get addressed in the next update.

Simonst

Thanks Tony, this is what i suspected was going on but it's nice to have it confirmed before I order a new cable. I'll contact Gerber and find out if the older cable is still available. I'd still be intrested to find out if anybody knows of a 3rd party cable that works with the Edge 2's.

Jase

Thanks Tony, I have the same problem, however I have the new cable and the old cable. My problem is that I am running Omega 3 with service pack update and Vista, which doesn't seem to be on the list of approved OS's. I have downloaded the drivers for the new cable and these recognise the cable but the Edge just won't respond. Any way around this?? May just have to buy Omega 5.0, though not keen at the moment.

Tony Teveris

For the new cable to work you need Omega 4.0 or better. Jase in your case because you have the old and new cable you should be able use both with no problems because the cables do NOT have the same VID/PID.

Note: I would recommend that all Gerber users update to Omega 5.0

Simonst, we no longer have the older cable, at one time we had over 500 and they are all gone and we have gone through 500+ of the new ones.

Simonst

hmm well thats unfortunate, any suggestions on an alternitive cable? alternatively I could setup the 2nd printer on another computer but none of my machines are conviently placed for that if i set it up on a powered usb hub whats the max lengith cable i can use? with a bit of rearranging i'm looking at about a 24ft run.

Jase

I have one more question related to adding two edges. Can you use a switching box e.g plug in the two edges using the original parallel cables and then use the parallel to usb cable from the box to the computer? Are they standard parallel cables?

Jason