• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing a new Latex 360 today

RoCo

waves photo.JPG

Happy with it, so far. We're just seeing some weirdness printing on banner vinyl. Inconsistent color saturation and "waves" showing up in areas. We're using Duratex, 15oz., smooth blockout banner vinyl with the preloaded HP Durable Frontlit Scrim Banner profile, since I have not created our own profile yet. Any ideas? Has any else come across these "wave" patterns?
Thanks for any help!

Robert Gruner

View attachment 99862

Happy with it, so far. We're just seeing some weirdness printing on banner vinyl. Inconsistent color saturation and "waves" showing up in areas. We're using Duratex, 15oz., smooth blockout banner vinyl with the preloaded HP Durable Frontlit Scrim Banner profile, since I have not created our own profile yet. Any ideas? Has any else come across these "wave" patterns?
Thanks for any help!

RoCo:

What PS RIP are you printing to?

I'm curious if you will respond...Who sold you and installed the printer?
I resell L360's and am required by HP to install and train my clients. Generally I sell Onyx with the printer and I make sure we can print to all the medias my client wants to print on. I would call back my salesman/installer and insist he/she resolve my issue.

Good printing as I think you have purchased perhaps the nicest wideformat indoor/outdoor printer on the market today.

Bob Gruner
bob@nusignsupply.com

poslive

We had the same issue with our L26500 until we switched to Grimco's Forward Banner and haven't had any problems since.

chafro

Those waves are common in some banners.

The problem is the media you are using, coating is not responding correctly to the heat.

RoCo

We figured out what's causing the pattern: it's the pinch roller. So if you're not having an issue worth the Grimco material, we'll probably go ahead and give that a chance. Thanks!

The problem is contaminated media. PVC banner media will be subject to plasticizers migration to the print surface which will result in these roller-caused wave artifacts on the HP Latex printers. Your options include the following:
1) Clean the plasticizers from the print surface with a thorough cleaning, using Isopropyl Alcohol.
2) Obtain a newer roll of media which the plasticizers have not migrated to the surface.

RoCo

The problem is contaminated media. PVC banner media will be subject to plasticizers migration to the print surface which will result in these roller-caused wave artifacts on the HP Latex printers. Your options include the following:
1) Clean the plasticizers from the print surface with a thorough cleaning, using Isopropyl Alcohol.
2) Obtain a newer roll of media which the plasticizers have not migrated to the surface.

I think you're right as far as blaming the media. We were thinking the same thing since we were also seeing some ink coverage inconsistencies in other places around the material. Do you have recommendations for a banner material? or do you think it's all about the age.

All PVC banner media from every manufacturer contains plasticizers. The older the media is, and the hotter the storage conditions will dictate whether the plasticizers have migrated to the surface or not. It is not a 'bad' roll of media in the traditional sense, as every roll of banner PVC will eventually have the plasticizers migrate. I have seen it on all versions of the HP Latex machines, including the new 300 series.

The trick is to print on it before it occurs, or to remove them from the print surface before printing.