• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing a sign in Parking Lot

weaselboogie

I'm installing a 3x6 perm sign in a parking lot which I assume is asphalt. They're taking out two parking spots to make some room for the sign. This will be my first install in something like this.

My planned steps after a call to the utilities companies is to use a rented concrete saw to cut up an 18" wide hole. Dig the hole 2' or so. After backfilling, I plan on doing some surface concrete around the post to finish it off.

The sign itself is for a daycare center and I'm using pvc pipe (crayons) over the extruded aluminum sign posts.

This job is over an hour away, so I'm just making sure that I'm doing this correctly and don't have any surprises that far away from the shop.

Would anyone handle this differently?

Attachments

• li.jpg
    li.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 88

Billct2

Will they be landscaping around it? If so you will want to have the sign higher out of the ground. I would go 3' not 2' deep. Also if it's asphalt, not concrete, I'd skip the concrete saw and just bust through it, drilling some holes with my hammer drill if needed.

weaselboogie

No Landscaping.. I tried talking them into it, but no go. I'd like them to dress up that area a bit instead of just putting a sign in the middle of the lot.

Pat Whatley

Check the price of renting the saw against the price of having a concrete coring company go out and cut the holes for you. I've had several done and as long as I'm flexible with my deadline they'll do it whenever they've got a little time to kill at the end of a day for next to nothing. They drilled two 6" diameter x 18" deep holes for me last week for $50. Renting a saw and buying a blade would have been twice that. They leave a nice clean perfectly round hole too so when you fill it with concrete it looks nice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In this part of the country, you should go at least 3' deep... even if you're gonna cement it in.

Your frost line is down about 20" and in case of a severe winter, it could go lower. That will push a sign like this or any other right back up out of the ground.

2' would be irresponsible.

In this part of the country, you should go at least 3' deep... even if you're gonna cement it in.

Your frost line is down about 20" and in case of a severe winter, it could go lower. That will push a sign like this or any other right back up out of the ground.

2' would be irresponsible.

+1

jfiscus

Rap Master
In regards to the depth of the sign post required, that should be spelled out on the permit application & approval forms also, unless this is for a rinky-dink town? We always go 3' as a rule, just to be safe & legal.

Make sure you use the free "call before you dig" service!

MikePro

+1 to 3' deep... winter freezes moisture in the holes and can pop your sign out of the ground like a cork!
pain in the ass, i know... as I usually do most of the post-hole digging here at my shop.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm pretty sure Ohio frost line is 36"....

I put little exhibit panels about 3' high max. in Michigan and had to go 47" for their frost line.

I would use a Sonotube to finish it off nice (http://www.sonotube.com/)

Signguyno1

3' definitely, would think permit is required. Concrete filled pipe bollards should be used to protect sign from vehicles.

TheSnowman

We put one in our parking lot, and went 3 ft deep. The problem we have is people backing over it non stop. We replaced (2) 4" X 4" posts, and then decided to put a piece of rebar in between the two broken pieces last time. So far, it's been backed over probably 6 - 8 more times, and all we do is bend it back in place.

Not sure what your setup is, but they make flexible posts...might be worth an upsell if it's an hour away.