• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Channel Letters on Interior Drywall

signsvisual

Hello , I have a question, I have a set of front lit channel letters to install at my customers site onto an interior drywall. Only problem is there is no access from the back of the wall to run the wiring all the way thru to hide. And client is asking me if we can install without accessing the back of that wall. Is there any way possible to do this?

signsvisual

Any photos of examples how? The raceway thing, they don't want, even if its low profile. The drop ceiling, seems possible, but how does that work exactly?

Billct2

Open the drop ceiling you hopefully will see the open cavity of the wall. Start fishing.

nwsigns

Yes if its a drop ceiling that should be pretty easy to fish the wires up and then place the transformer above the wall. Neon or LED? LED would make that much easier otherwise you will need to run NM conduit.

Otherwise you would need to have a raceway behind it, depending on the layout I would suggest a backer panel between the raceway and letters that would hide the raceway and you can be creative and make them look intentional and not an after thought.

BUT you will still need to get power to the sign so if its not in the wall already you are going to go fishing or have them supply it.

Stanton

There is no reason for int. illum. letters
on the wall behind the welcome chick.

Light it with a stencil projector from across the room.

Modify a ceiling panel to hold the light source tucked up
out of / above the ceiling plane.

The customer is never right.
We placate them at best.

This is sign talk, not PR.

Hicalibersigns

Pulling wire down dry wall isn't difficult. Most new construction is metal studs and drywall. Make a hole in the top plate with a 2" hole saw directly above where you want the wire to exit. Cut a hole in the dry wall at the bottom where you are going to mount an "old work" box. Drop a 3' piece of ladder chain attached to a nylon string down the hole in the top plate. You won't have any trouble finding it. Pull it out and you now have a pull string to pull your cable down. You can finish off with a cover plate that is behind one of the letters. If carefully placed it can't be seen. If the cover plate is too large to conceal by one of the letters, just make a 1/2" hole and you can reach through the hole with a magnetic pickup and grab the chain. If you are running class II wiring you shouldn't run afoul of building code. Not sure about NJ, but you may need a licensed electrician some places require it some don't. Check your local building codes.