• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing FedEx Ground and Home Delivery decals

auto accents sc

We are asked to install the decals on their vans and box trucks from time to time. We have been laying vinyl for years. These seem to be extra prone to get bubbles. Increased pressure helps but it is more than is necessary for the average install. Sometimes I think the application tape actually lifts the vinyl and causes bubbles. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a suggestion?

auto accents sc

I believe they are produced by Lowen. It I no air release.I'm not sure if they are printed or just custom colors for FedEx. No laminate. I don' know all of the specifics. I was hoping someone else had done some installs. 'Thanks for your reply.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We installed one a couple of years ago. One of the "Home" service sets on a Sprinter for one of their guys. Cannot remember all the details but I do remember is was all pre-spaced and no-air release. I'm pretty sure it was just solid color cut vinyl. I do think you are right - I want to think I remember seeing Lowen on the set on the one we did. I do remember that I dry applied them as usual and I cannot recall any issues with excessive bubbles or anything. Only thing I can add it to make sure your squeegee has a nice good edge on it or maybe get a bottle of Rapid-Tac and wet apply them.

Cheers from around the corner... :smile:

SIGNTIME

we did a home delivery one a few years ago and it is cut vinyl ( the backside was the color of the front) we applied as any other job and had no issues one thing i do remember is that the mask was high tack and we sprayed it down first with soapy water to aid in removal.

idsignsil

We do all of the FedEx vehicles for Springfield, IL and the surrounding towns. It works out to about 1 vehicle a week, although sometimes it is 2 or 3 one week and then none for a few weeks. Anyway, we do a bunch of them. The vinyl is custom colors from Lowen that is not air release. We also get the champagne bubbles in the larger graphics. We have tried everything we can think of and no matter what we do they are still there after we take the transfer tape off. I don't think it helps when the vehicles are all beat to crap and the owner just painted the truck with a roller 2 days ago, but that is a different story.

A while back, we did a vehicle and the driver gave us the wrong unit number. He brought it back a few days later to have it changed. We looked over the vehicle while it was in the shop and all of the bubbles had gone away with the heat from the sunshine. We asked him about it and he said they always do. This won't help right now since there is snow everywhere and little sunshine, but the bubbles will eventually go away.

While we are on the subject, why can't they make the logo for the back door of the box trucks fit onto the roll up door? They are always bigger and you have to fight with the cables that roll the door up. Then you cut the logo and put the end pieces on the body area and make sure everything is lined up correctly. Just make the logo a bit smaller so the whole thing fits on the door, it would make things much easier. Ok, my rant is done, thanks for listening.

auto accents sc

The champagne bubbles as you put it are what we are experiencing. I believe the application tape could be the culprit. Thank you for the responses. We were starting to feel like Rookies.

TDFcustomSL

I have installed them on one box truck and it was a nightmare. I think the graphics had been stored rolled up in high humidity for several years. What I had to install was cut vinyl, acrylic adhesive, non air release, and extremely thin and fragile. PITA.

JeremyTn

I work for a body shop and we repair FedEx vans and I have to replace the decals (by myself too, it's loads of fun!). The app paper does pull up the vinyl and cause bubbles. I've had good luck by soaking the app paper and peeling it off one section of a letter at a time. For example, in the top left corner I pull a little paper up then make a small cut in the paper and pull downward slowly so it rips off a strip of paper covering the vertical bar of the F, and so on. Just be mindful of which way you're pulling and never pull towards a corner or end of a letter.

Here's another trick to make the large Sprinter side decals easier. Their Sprinters don't have side windows but they still have a recessed area where windows would be and some of the decals are larger than that area. That means you have to stick most of the decal in the recessed area and heat up and form the parts that extend out the recess. This is pretty easy in some places, but harder in others. But if you look at a decal that is already on the van, they never heat it and make it form into that body line, they just cut the decal and put a strip of vinyl over the gap. The strip blends in so well that you can't really see it. Where do they get the matching vinyl strip? It's right there on the backing paper above the decal. I always try to heat mine as a matter of pride, but if I'm in a hurry, that's a heck of a time saver.