Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Gemini track on maxmetal

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by visual800, Feb 10, 2019.

1. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Have not dont this quite a long time nor have I have I done this on maxmetal. Gotta put up 5 strips of this track, 7' long, onto the maxmetal. What clear adhesive have you guys found that works

I really do not want to screw or pop rivet if I can help it

Tags:
  2. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    VHB tape. What thickness is the maxmetal? Will it be mounted to a stiff substrate?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    No, VHB tape will not work. I tried three adhesive methods before giving up and going to mechanical fasteners. First was clear VHB tape and that lasted about a month, it also ended up collecting all the dust and dirt and made the tracks nasty. Second, I tried Weld-on which lasted another month. Also tried something else that I forgot. I think the mixing of materials (plastic and metal) made it tricky. I don't get a lot of requests for reader boards so my experience is limited. In the end I re-made the boards (because by this time the sign looked horrible being only 6 months old) and used mechanical fasteners and it's still going strong, that was 4 years ago.

4. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I have used West System Six10 epoxy adhesive which comes in a cartridge so you can lay down a nice bead. It has an open time for it to dry so you can move a little before setting up. Once it hardens you are not going to move it. Draw pencil lines on the metal to make sure you get it straight. I used a thin bead and then laid the track on top of that pushing down lightly so it did not squeeze out on the sides. Last time I purchased it was about $20 for cartridge and applicator that screws on top. After you use some of it you can reseal it to use another time. Instructions for cleanup are on the cartridge. Also sanded just where the track was going to add to adhesion.

5. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    yep, i knew vhb wouldnt work too much moisture and dirtcan be trapped on top of tracks. I guess ill screw from backside. sometimes screwing or riveting causes waviness in track Iwas trying to avoid that

6. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I used tiny machine screws on the front and nuts on the back. I put them every 4-6 inches. I think because I did them so tight I never had a problem with wavyness or separation. Visually you dont even notice them, they just look like tiny little dots. Guess you could paint them white if you really wanted them to blend in.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. unclebun

unclebun Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    rivets.

8. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    gemini letter track is polycarbonate, so if you're using an adhesive then you have to pick one that bonds to that....
    such as SciGrip 58.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moosehead Signs

Moosehead Signs Finely Crafted Signs & Lettering

Apr 10, 2018
    Maine
    SS screws. Built an 2" aluminum frame to match the thickness of the HDU carved sign above. I setup a jig on a my CNC for the routing oblong holes. Keep your screws a bit loose to allow movement of the tack. Works great, no dirt behind the tracks. Posts were painted a dk green in the spring. 20100830_14.JPG RIMG3956.JPG

RIMG4006.JPG RIMG3985.JPG RIMG4046.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  10. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Good touch with the oblong holes. I made mine oversize to account to expansion but yours looks great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moosehead Signs

Moosehead Signs Finely Crafted Signs & Lettering

Apr 10, 2018
    Maine
    Thanks Tex, they definitely have been effective in expantion and contraction of the materials. By the way I neglected to say I pre-drilled the hole on the CNC & used SS coarse sheet metal screws.

12. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Richmond, VA