• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Gemini track on maxmetal

visual800

Have not dont this quite a long time nor have I have I done this on maxmetal. Gotta put up 5 strips of this track, 7' long, onto the maxmetal. What clear adhesive have you guys found that works

I really do not want to screw or pop rivet if I can help it

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No, VHB tape will not work. I tried three adhesive methods before giving up and going to mechanical fasteners. First was clear VHB tape and that lasted about a month, it also ended up collecting all the dust and dirt and made the tracks nasty. Second, I tried Weld-on which lasted another month. Also tried something else that I forgot. I think the mixing of materials (plastic and metal) made it tricky. I don't get a lot of requests for reader boards so my experience is limited. In the end I re-made the boards (because by this time the sign looked horrible being only 6 months old) and used mechanical fasteners and it's still going strong, that was 4 years ago.

Johnny Best

I have used West System Six10 epoxy adhesive which comes in a cartridge so you can lay down a nice bead. It has an open time for it to dry so you can move a little before setting up. Once it hardens you are not going to move it. Draw pencil lines on the metal to make sure you get it straight. I used a thin bead and then laid the track on top of that pushing down lightly so it did not squeeze out on the sides. Last time I purchased it was about $20 for cartridge and applicator that screws on top. After you use some of it you can reseal it to use another time. Instructions for cleanup are on the cartridge. Also sanded just where the track was going to add to adhesion.

visual800

yep, i knew vhb wouldnt work too much moisture and dirtcan be trapped on top of tracks. I guess ill screw from backside. sometimes screwing or riveting causes waviness in track Iwas trying to avoid that

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
yep, i knew vhb wouldnt work too much moisture and dirtcan be trapped on top of tracks. I guess ill screw from backside. sometimes screwing or riveting causes waviness in track Iwas trying to avoid that

I used tiny machine screws on the front and nuts on the back. I put them every 4-6 inches. I think because I did them so tight I never had a problem with wavyness or separation. Visually you dont even notice them, they just look like tiny little dots. Guess you could paint them white if you really wanted them to blend in.

Last edited:

Moosehead Signs

Finely Crafted Signs & Lettering
Have not dont this quite a long time nor have I have I done this on maxmetal. Gotta put up 5 strips of this track, 7' long, onto the maxmetal. What clear adhesive have you guys found that works

I really do not want to screw or pop rivet if I can help it
SS screws. Built an 2" aluminum frame to match the thickness of the HDU carved sign above. I setup a jig on a my CNC for the routing oblong holes. Keep your screws a bit loose to allow movement of the tack. Works great, no dirt behind the tracks. Posts were painted a dk green in the spring.
20100830_14.JPG
RIMG3956.JPG

RIMG4006.JPG
RIMG3985.JPG
RIMG4046.JPG

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
SS screws. Built an 2" aluminum frame to match the thickness of the HDU carved sign above. I setup a jig on a my CNC for the routing oblong holes. Keep your screws a bit loose to allow movement of the tack. Works great, no dirt behind the tracks. Posts were painted a dk green in the spring. View attachment 139155 View attachment 139153

View attachment 139151 View attachment 139152 View attachment 139154

Good touch with the oblong holes. I made mine oversize to account to expansion but yours looks great.

Moosehead Signs

Finely Crafted Signs & Lettering
Thanks Tex, they definitely have been effective in expantion and contraction of the materials. By the way I neglected to say I pre-drilled the hole on the CNC & used SS coarse sheet metal screws.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
SS screws. Built an 2" aluminum frame to match the thickness of the HDU carved sign above. I setup a jig on a my CNC for the routing oblong holes. Keep your screws a bit loose to allow movement of the tack. Works great, no dirt behind the tracks. Posts were painted a dk green in the spring. View attachment 139155 View attachment 139153

View attachment 139151 View attachment 139152 View attachment 139154 [/QUO

Agreed...the tracks need to be able to move; if not, they will crack/split as they contract and expand. I drill the holes a little bigger than the screw diameter. After I snug the screw I back the screw out a bit so that it is not tightly holding the track down, which allows it to move as it heats up and cools down.