• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing GX-640 as Printer

ImpactSignCo

Hi everyone,
So we upgraded our computer, and everything is running perfectly, except for the fact that I cannot remember how I set up my Camm-1 Pro GX-640 vinyl cutter as a printer in Windows, instead of an unspecified printer. I have tried uninstalling the device and re-installing with the downloaded driver information from the Roland website, but it still comes up as an unspecified device instead of a printer. I know to set it up in Versaworks and have them both run from there, it needs to be specified as a printer, I just cannot remember how to get to that point.
Any help is much appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 494

ImpactSignCo

I have the drivers, that's not the problem. When the drivers are installed, it shows on my machine as being an unspecified device. What I need is it to show as an actual printer, and I know there is a way to do it, I just cannot remember...

If that is Windows 10 (I'm guessing that it is), Roland has not updated their drivers for this OS yet. They might have a procedure to install the driver using the driver for older versions of Windows, you'd need to get with Roland support for this.

ImpactSignCo

It is indeed Windows 10, and it keeps telling me that it cannot find the file specified, after following the instructions. It's weird though, I was able to set up our XR-640 with no issues...

It's not weird at all. RIP-based large-format printers do not need Windows-based drivers, because they use the driver in the RIP. The Roland cutter needs a driver to be seen by the OS.

ImpactSignCo

That makes a lot of sense. I will try and get a hold of Roland support to see if there is a work around. If I come up with anything, I will post it here also.

Tizz

Was your old computer a 32bit? And new computer a 64bit?

I run an older Roland cutter on a 32bit pc and set up the cutter as a printer. Just like what your thinking of.

I installed this by going in to printers then 'add printer', locate the Roland cutter driver and install.

Hope this helps!

ImpactSignCo

Got it fixed and figured out. Roland called me back today and was able to get it going in Versaworks. Everyone's suggestions were 100% on point here, I apparently just had the wrong driver. I downloaded it from the Roland Support website, so not sure how I got the wrong one.
The website the tech directed me to was here:
http://download.rolanddg.jp/en/cutting.html#win864dricamm1
If anyone is having similar problems, hope this helps. Thanks everyone.