• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing new graphics on top of old ones: Opinions?

RoCo

We have a client that wants us to redo the wrap on an old RV (4th time for this, I think). The last time we stripped it 3 years ago, the surface of the RV was looking pretty rough (lots of paint loss, body damage, etc) and we actually had to prime and spray paint some areas and cross our fingers that everything stuck and held on over time. It seems to have held up, though I have not inspected it up close, yet. I'm leaning towards installing the new wrap on the existing one, provided it's in good condition and not pulling away, etc. If we strip it off it could be a disaster under there and create an even worse situation than we had the last time around.

Any thoughts?

RoCo

I would say 3-4 years. Though I guess it's a possibility that the vehicle itself may have worn out by then, anyway.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Isn't the life of most wrap material rated for 10 years? it could possibly stand up to it if only another 3 or 4. Just set expectations that because of the condition it might only last 1 or 2 and to cross finvers for 3 to 4 years and quote for what you think removal, fixing, prepping and install would cost vs just install and explain what you would have to do because of the age of the RV.

xxtoni

Just offer full disclosure to the client and give them the choice. Tell them that ideally you would remove the old stuff and then apply the new ones but because of the possibility of the surface not being good enough for another application you think it might be a good idea to just apply it over the current graphics and that this will probably lead to shorter lifespan of the graphics. Just make sure that they know what you're saying, make the proper recommendation and it's out of your hands. The responsibility is then theirs.

jfiscus

Rap Master
+1 to the advise above, however I would like to make the addition of: Trim back all edges around 1/2" or remove any suspect edge material that may be startig to fail or around any damaged areas. If your previous install was done correctly and this one is also, I would gamble that the new wrap will still last another 3-4 years. However; after that time, you'd better hope they junk the RV! ;)