• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing one inch aluminum letters

David Wright

This job is more a pain that it should be but here it is.

I have Gemini 1" by 1/4"deep aluminum, flat cut letters. The pin mounts would be a pain to look really good if even a few drill holes are the slightest bit off. At this height kerning is everything.

I would like to use a good adhesive like Lords but the light Garamond typestyle leaves very little stroke width and I can't have any glue pushing out past the edges. Is there a fine tip applicator or applicator/glue combo I can use?

Vhb would be nice if I even knew Gemini offered that service at the time of ordering so no way to I want to try that now.

MikePro

you don't want to try it because you don't have VHB tape handy?

it is sold at Walgreens in like 10ft. rolls. apply strips to back of letters, and using an xacto knife trim slightly inside of the edge to avoid seeing any sticking-out.

David Wright

I have done that but that is a real pain to trim a lot of letters that small.
I mean if I have to, I will. I did the first set that way.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If it were me, I would apply the clear VHB tape (the thinnest one - I forget the number).

If you are that against using VHB and they sent a pattern and they're drilled for studs, I would use the studs and tiny dabs of silicone in the holes. The problem with thin strips of VHB tape is it can make thin letters with no supports (ie: 'l' or 'i') rather wobbly unless you use the super thin clear VHB tape.

John Butto

Take some backing paper and lay the clear VHB tape on it and cut long thin strips, Take your exacto blade and cut to the length you need and lift with the blade so as not to get your oily hands on it and place on back of letter.

skyhigh

I have done that but that is a real pain to trim a lot of letters that small.
I mean if I have to, I will. I did the first set that way.
I'd have to say, its your only option.

You don't need a "full cover" on the backs of the letters. Cut a bunch of small pieces, and maybe some strips like John mentioned.

Have fun.

pjfmeister

Like Moze said the problem with VHB is letters like "i,I,l" get wobbly and start looking crooked over time if not just plain fall off depending what they are mounted to...

Adhesive is your best bet...you can quickly set up your own pattern by stretching straight line of tape set the letters where you want them...adjust kerning etc then mark a tic on your tape for each letter edge...then go back and permanently mount....obviously easier to do in the shop if your mounting to a plaque ...pretty time consuming if mounting directly to a wall...use a small amount of thin vhb to hold letter in place while adhesive cures...

If you go the drill route...depending on what your drilling into - to mount lots of small letters will almost certainly look "off" and your ability to adjust will be minimal. With a quick curing adhesive you can make adjustments on the fly and it should turn out pretty good.

MikePro

I've also laid-out strips of VHB on wax paper/vinyl backing and trimmed a bunch of 1/8" tabs at once. plucking and applying as I do the lettering.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Below are some pretty small letters I had to install recently. I used VHB tape (the thicker stuff - customer spec) and silicone and was just really, really careful. The stroke width was extremely thin, so where silicone did show, I wiped up what I could with a Q-tip and then came back with a clean Q-tip and lighter fluid to get the rest. It looks nice and came out fine, but I really hate using anything but the super thin VHB tape on stuff like this. As mentioned, the single-stroke letters just wobble too much.

Attachments

• IMG_8445.jpg
    IMG_8445.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8443.jpg
    IMG_8443.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 115

MikePro

for "fine lining" silicone or any adhesive: fill the corner a zip-lock baggie, clip the tip, and apply like decorative icing on a cake

Gino

Premium Subscriber
About two years ago, we started using a new adhesive sealant..... 75-AM Ultra Clear.

It holds anything in place and almost instantly. We hang 14" high solid PVC 1" thick letters with a few little dabs and it holds within 5 or so seconds. This past summer we did some... about 1/4" aluminum letters on an interior wallpapered room. We laid out all the letters on a piece of paper on top of foam. Pushed the letters to make an indent and used that for our pattern. Dusted the wall and placed the adhesive on the backs of letters with a little pig brush. Held it to the wall ad in a few seconds it held just fine. As a word was finished, Larry stood back and eyeballed it to make sure the kerning was dead on.

janney finished.jpg

Last edited:

lrtgraphics

About two years ago, we started using a new adhesive sealant..... 75-AM Ultra Clear.

It holds anything in place and almost instantly. We hang 14" high solid PVC 1" thick letters with a few little dabs and it holds within 5 or so seconds. This past summer we did some... about 1/4" aluminum letters on an interior wallpapered room. We laid out all the letters on a piece of paper on top of foam. Pushed the letters to make an indent and used that for our pattern. Dusted the wall and placed the adhesive on the backs of letters with a little pig brush. Held it to the wall ad in a few seconds it held just fine. As a word was finished, Larry stood back and eyeballed it to make sure the kerning was dead on.

Gino - Where do you buy the 75-AM Ultra Clear from? I looked around online and couldn't find any retailers that carry it.

Thanks!

petrosgraphics

have always used vhb tape for small letters... cut tape with xacto knife into thin
strips..then apply to back of letters...it moves along quickly once you get the hang of it...

#4920 is .015 thick , white.... #4905 is .020 thick, clear..... #4930 is .025 thick, white...