• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Perforated Vinyl Question

what the

Owner/op
Install question: I normally don't touch perforated vinyl jobs but I'm printing one up right now for install. This is a storefront window- Not laminating but using frog juice. What is the best technique to install? Do I use a paper carrier or do not use a carrier at all? Will it stretch to much without a carrier?
Thank you in advance!!
Amber

J Hill Designs

if you mean transfer paper, its not needed. (although to be honest the only large storefront perf I have installed was laminated, not just juiced)

JBusch260

If it helps you keep it rigid, try some transfer tape. If not, should go up like any other vinyl on a flat surface of the window. Just tape it up, hinge it and squeegee it down.

Biker Scout

OK, I used to knock these out all day long. I've done every method known... then on a whim, I busted out one of my "Big Squeegees" and decided to just "push it on" from the top down. HAHA!! I just laughed it was so easy, and got mad all at the same time for not having tried that before.

So the key here is that your "Blade" that you are going to push with is as wide as the window and perf. You can just have it a wee bit narrower if that's all you got, but really should be wider. But sometimes those commercial windows with the aluminum frame kinda dictates the size of everything. I ended up making about 10 different ones to fit various jobs I kept getting. So I pretty much have one for nearly every window size up to the widest width of my vinyl.

You only gotta peel back about 3-4 inches at the top. Stick it on with a felt squeegee... and let it hang there and you can see if it's going to be lined up. The most important thing here is to keep the carrier paper on and as you are pulling down it's pushing the paper off as you go. It does help to have someone pull the paper off as you go, but they can't get ahead of you or you'll end up with creases or the perf stretching. As it's prone to do. It's pretty fast and easy, and you don't have to get their windows all wet again after you've just cleaned them.

But if you really are in a jamb, and need to go "wet" I highly suggest using Invisible Glass in the spray bottle. Not the one with silicone in it, the original. It works really well and evaporates on it's own without leaving any reside in the perf holes. It's more expensive than a spray bottle of denatured alcohol / water mix. But at least it's consistent formula that works.

I just used this stuff for the first time on a truck's back window. I taped the material along the bottom edge of the window, pulled the backing off, then squeegied it on, wet. It turned out really well, went on pretty easy considering the back window wasn't one solid piece of glass (sliding windows in the middle), and the material was pretty forgiving whenever I did run into problems. A store window should be a piece of cake.

StudioSignsInc

The guys above covered most of it. You don't need carrier paper but be careful not to pull hard as the perf vinyl stretch easy.