• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Post & Panel sign on a Sidewalk

fresh

I've never installed posts on a sidewalk before, and we need help.

How do you this? And if you use a bracket system, where do you get the brackets?

Thank you!

fresh

There are a few ways to do it, none of them fun. The first question you need to answer is "Is this a public sidewalk?"

yes, its going at a train station.

we are planning on using an anchor system that attaches to the posts, then we screw the anchors to the ground. i think i have it figured out, but I'd like to see if anyone has a better idea / suggestion.

Mosh

Two part concrete epoxy some studs into the concrete...weld up some brackets, powder coat them and install.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If cost wasn't an issue, I'd properly cement some flanges into the ground, set the posts inside the flange and bolt the posts fast. Using your way, if something happens to the sign and/or post, you have a real mess. This was it's like a break-away point if enough force is used and you don't disturb the underground part.

John Butto

this is the system I use, just cut your width to your post size, predrill everything before going and it goes fast, you drill your holes (did not show it but 3"bolts go all the way thru with washers and locknuts) for the 3" thru bolts a little larger for leveling purposes

fresh

this is the system I use, just cut your width to your post size, predrill everything before going and it goes fast, you drill your holes (did not show it but 3"bolts go all the way thru with washers and locknuts) for the 3" thru bolts a little larger for leveling purposes

You are AWESOME. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Actually, thanks to everyone who replied, I really appreciate your words of advice.

fresh

If cost wasn't an issue, I'd properly cement some flanges into the ground, set the posts inside the flange and bolt the posts fast. Using your way, if something happens to the sign and/or post, you have a real mess. This was it's like a break-away point if enough force is used and you don't disturb the underground part.

Cost is the issue. You how sometimes you should just walk away? Well, I agreed do this job a LONG time ago, and they were very upfront about their budget. I'm the moron who keep coming up with more expensive ideas, knowing full-well that I'm only going to get a certain amount.

But, on the other hand, this organization referred me to someone else who spent beaucoup bucks this year, so we are happy to do the best we can. Anchoring the posts will work just fine, its not a big sign.

In the future I will remember to budget for a more solid footing.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cost is the issue. You how sometimes you should just walk away? Well, I agreed do this job a LONG time ago, and they were very upfront about their budget. I'm the moron who keep coming up with more expensive ideas, knowing full-well that I'm only going to get a certain amount.

But, on the other hand, this organization referred me to someone else who spent beaucoup bucks this year, so we are happy to do the best we can. Anchoring the posts will work just fine, its not a big sign.

In the future I will remember to budget for a more solid footing.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Cost is always gonna be an issue, but regardless of their needs or wants, it needs to be addressed.

Anyway, in addition to John's suggestion, you might want to make sure those brackets are to the side of the post running the same direction as the face for added strength. Should a good little wind come along, you'll have that added support of protection in your back pocket.