Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Post & Panel sign on a Sidewalk

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by fresh, May 13, 2013.

1. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    I've never installed posts on a sidewalk before, and we need help.

How do you this? And if you use a bracket system, where do you get the brackets?

Thank you!

Tags:
  2. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    There are a few ways to do it, none of them fun. The first question you need to answer is "Is this a public sidewalk?"

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    concrete core drill

I've done it in asphalt perforating the hole diameter with my hilti then chiseling it out.

4. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    yes, its going at a train station.

we are planning on using an anchor system that attaches to the posts, then we screw the anchors to the ground. i think i have it figured out, but I'd like to see if anyone has a better idea / suggestion.

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
  6. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Two part concrete epoxy some studs into the concrete...weld up some brackets, powder coat them and install.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If cost wasn't an issue, I'd properly cement some flanges into the ground, set the posts inside the flange and bolt the posts fast. Using your way, if something happens to the sign and/or post, you have a real mess. This was it's like a break-away point if enough force is used and you don't disturb the underground part.

8. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    this is the system I use, just cut your width to your post size, predrill everything before going and it goes fast, you drill your holes (did not show it but 3"bolts go all the way thru with washers and locknuts) for the 3" thru bolts a little larger for leveling purposes

9. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    You are AWESOME. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Actually, thanks to everyone who replied, I really appreciate your words of advice.

10. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj

Cost is the issue. You how sometimes you should just walk away? Well, I agreed do this job a LONG time ago, and they were very upfront about their budget. I'm the moron who keep coming up with more expensive ideas, knowing full-well that I'm only going to get a certain amount.

But, on the other hand, this organization referred me to someone else who spent beaucoup bucks this year, so we are happy to do the best we can. Anchoring the posts will work just fine, its not a big sign.

In the future I will remember to budget for a more solid footing.

Thank you for your suggestion.

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Cost is always gonna be an issue, but regardless of their needs or wants, it needs to be addressed.

Anyway, in addition to John's suggestion, you might want to make sure those brackets are to the side of the post running the same direction as the face for added strength. Should a good little wind come along, you'll have that added support of protection in your back pocket.