• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Printed Wall Graphic On Existing Vinyl Wallcovering

johnschleich

Our client is asking us to install a printed graphic over an existing vinyl wall covering. And, just to make matters worse, the existing wall vinyl has a slight texture. Project is for a hospital and this is the only location that we have available in this particular waiting room. Application is short-term, maybe 3-4 months.

I Google'd this question and saw many who have had PSA Vinyl installations fail. One of the suggestions was to use cast car wrap vinyl, such as 3M 180CV3. We did a "pull-test" with 180CV3, Avery 2611 Wall Vinyl, and Avery Transit Vinyl. 180CV3 seemed to hold the best, BUT we are worried about damaging the existing wall vinyl.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of install?

MikePro

ask your vinyl supplier about phototex, the EX version will stick to wallpaper/texture. it is slightly transparent, however. I mean, you can't read a newspaper through it but if you're trying to cover-up a large obscenity or a girlie poster, or another logo... some things might still show-through. There's also a new blockout version for this purpose.

o, and welcome to s101

yahhoo123

after working in Film for 20 years and the trade for 32, I have stuck vinyl just about everything out there. the first thing of course is not to damage the wall when you remove it so I would try the most benign vinyl first....like removable vinyl....has very low tack. what will be your key will be application. gently heat the vinyl with the premask still on it after you have it in place...apply pressure with a 3" roller as you go. let the work cool down...remove the premask...then go over the vinyl one last time with heat and the dry 3" roller....you will see it take all the texture and really stick well.....of course do a test first and also a removal test too. this works well for cinder block even (sometimes with cinder block you need to clear coat it first with a water based polyuerathane ) for more permanent adhesion. p.s. careful with the heat ...warm not hot...you don't want to bubble up the existing vinyl wallcovering.!

Sign Eagle

I would go with WalTex. The adhesive on removable vinyl is designed to stay on the vinyl, when applied to a vinyl surface, especially after a few months, some of the adhesive may well attach to the vinyl wall covering.