• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing second JV3

Stripeman

I need to setup Onyx to print to my second printer (JV3 250) Ive been working on it for a while and now its ready to make me money. I currently am running Production House 7.X and have a JV3 160 running, connected via firewire on the rip machine. So, to install the second unit, do I have to attach it directly to the rip machine or can I run it across my network with it attached to a different computer?

AND, if they both have to be running on the same computer, with the firewire signal piggyback like a scsi chain?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
No clue on what you would need to do within Onyx as we use Flexi. On the hardware side though - in my own experience (and reading others doing this several times) is that 2 JV3 machines connected via firewire will not play well together on the same firewire controller in the computer end. You will be able to get both to show up but they will not work right. If both are connecting to the same computer you will need to get a PCI (or PCIe depending on slots available on your motherboard) add on firewire card for the second machine. Make sure the add on card uses a TI (Texas Instruments) firewire chip. Each of the JV3 machines like to have their own dedicated controller on the computer.

Stripeman

I kinda thought so on the connection. It would seem that the wide stream of data running 2 machines would be iffy.

I was thinking of trying to have Onyx locate it across the network by installing the windows printer driver for it. Ive been patching this thing up for months now and I feel like a kid who just got his 78 Pinto running and I wanna drive!

genericname

We have two JV3 250SP printers hooked up to the same system, via firewire, driven by Onyx. You shouldn't have any trouble doing the same, but each printer does need its own dedicated firewire card on the computer side. After that, it's just a matter of making sure you have the right connection selected for each printer in the "Manage Printers" section of Onyx, under "Configure Port" option.

I haven't tried the network route, but setting it up through a TCP/IP port shouldn't be a problem either, though your data stream will more than likely be slower, and can lead to refresh lines.

Stripeman

I was hoping to network the connection to close the distance between the printers. I have the newer machine connected to its own cpu and temporarily installed Onyx on that unit to test the print and communication functions of it. Now that I know it works, it would be great if I could figure out how to make this firewire connection show up as tcp/ip connection.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
While firewire can be used as a networkable connection it is totally incompatable with ethernet protocols. You "might" be able to somehow share the connection (sort of like interent connection sharing on Windows) over the network but I think thats going into odd realms. Only thing I can think of would be an active firewire extender. Those are available.... not sure if they would introduce any sort of lag on the signal though. Might not be so good as the JV3 likes a nice steady stream of data coming once it starts going.