• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing U-Channel posts in asphalt, suggestions?

Doyle

We've been requested to provide a quote for installing 20 parking signs on an asphalt parking lot. Just wondering how this would typically be carried out. I assume there are specific tools that would be used that I probably don't have, but I may be interested in getting them or would at least like to understand the most practical way to drive these posts through the blacktop and into the ground without cutting or digging giant holes if there is a better way. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Pneumatic post hole driver. They are ran by a (large) portable air compressor/trailer. Your local tool rental store should have them both available. It should take about 5 minutes per pole once you get it figured out. Still be sure to "Call before you dig" when carrying out this job, you never know what is under that lot!

Doyle

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know. I've already called 5 rental shops in the last 10 minutes and no one has one (nothing within a 20 mile radius of our shop). Looks like I may need to broaden my search to a larger area. Thanks again!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:guido:

You might also include paving contractors and parking lot maintenance companies in your search. You might well be able to farm out the post installs for less money than renting the equipment needed.

rjssigns

:guido:

You might also include paving contractors and parking lot maintenance companies in your search. You might well be able to farm out the post installs for less money than renting the equipment needed.

THIS^^^^

By the time I would have rented the equipment plus traveling to get it, running it, hoping it doesn't break, and bringing it back...well you get the idea.

Guy in my area has a Bobcat with custom attachments for such tasks and he's cheap. Best part is I don't have to do any of the dirty work or break my back trying.:cool:

Doyle

Thank you for the replies. I have called a local asphalt sealing company for a quote on the install, this is probably the route we will go.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Try a T-post driver available at any farm supply store. This is a couple of feet of steel tube, capped on one end, with a handle on each side. The heavier the better. You slide it over the top of the post, lift it and drop it. Just drop it, don't push it. It should be able to drive a post through asphalt assuming the post is substantial enough to be driven.

Or drive a pilot hole with a hammer drill, or a piece of aforementioned T-post which are hell for sturdy, maybe a cold chisel of appropriate dimensions, or even a short piece of the actual post you'll be driving. Once through the asphalt driving the post the rest of the way should be simple. Especially if you have a T-post driver.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The hammer drill is good or a chisel will work. The part most of you are forgetting is what is underneath the blacktop.

If this is newly paved and just blacktop, more than likely there is quite a bit of crushed stone under it for packing. Once you start the hole, it will continue to sink or cave in as the stone just goes in as it pleases. In this case, the T-post driver will probably work the best. However, if this is an older parking lot, odds are it was blacktopped over an old cement parking lot, which now means, once you break through the blacktop, you hafta go through concrete..... then into the crushed stone. Subbing it out might be more expensive then you think if they run into these scenarios and you've givin out a solid quote.

I'd either test 1 or 2 spots or just make the signs and let them put them in with a fencing company crew. They have machines which will hammer that post in within minutes. They'll have all 20 done in an hour.

CanuckSigns

we bought one of these about 3 years ago when we got a job to install 30 parking signs, it puts a post 4 feet in the ground in about a minute, even through asphault.

We used to have a manual post pounder, but I decided to treat my back and arms!

http://www.skidril.com/g20d.htm

CanuckSigns

Thank you for the replies. I have called a local asphalt sealing company for a quote on the install, this is probably the route we will go.

I would still be on site with them, the asphault sealers around here are sketchy as hell, i wouldn't trust them to do a good job...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
we bought one of these about 3 years ago when we got a job to install 30 parking signs, it puts a post 4 feet in the ground in about a minute, even through asphault.

We used to have a manual post pounder, but I decided to treat my back and arms!

http://www.skidril.com/g20d.htm

That thing is sweet. What happens if you hit rock, fill, roots or other obstacles when not digging through virgin soil only ??

Tom Dalton

CanuckSigns

That thing is sweet. What happens if you hit rock, fill, roots or other obstacles when not digging through virgin soil only ??

Our town is situated on an old riverbed, there is no such thing as virgin soil here! the pounder does a pretty good job getting through it, I can only think of a handful of times that i've had to abandon a location and try again, if the rock is small enough, the pounder will be able to push it out of the way fairly well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, Southeast PA, we're just full of rock, blue rock and other sh!t. Average digging will bring up rocks the size of your head, no pun there. The Appalachians aren't far from us and we're considered the start of them for many many miles around. The name of the village where I live is called Stonetown, next to us is Stonersville and so on. You should see all the walls and fences built from local rock.

Not sure that machine will fit many of our needs.

S11930

you might also call a tow company. sometimes on lots they have contracts to tow

all they have to do is drill a hole to break the surface and push them in with the lift.