• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

installing Vinyl on a flexible banner.

what is the best way to install your Vinyl on a banner? Secure the banner down to a table so it doesn't move than wet it down with water and soap and then install vinyl and squeegie? Just my guess I want to make sure I get it right the first time....

If I am correct....how much soap do you mix with the water? whats the ratio that works best?

Josh

iSign

lots of people use soap, and usually one spoonful per quart, but it's not a good idea. Some soap is worse than others, but it all represents a contaminant that could haunt you later.

It's best to learn dry application, and this is far easier on banners than it is on cars, windows, aluminum, magnets or some painted or plastic signboards... in other words, it is just about the easiest of all surfaces to learn to apply dry to... therefore, you should take the challenge & start learning to do dry applications.

I confess to years of wet application on banners... but then I learned how easy it was to apply dry. so don't wait years like I did.

Yes, secure it so it doesn't move. clamp to table (or easel), tape to table, screw to table etc. etc.

sign&frame

If you did wet application use rapid tac works great but like iSign said dry application is in a way faster and cleaner outcome because I have had issues with little bubble when et mounting when there is still a little liquid stuck between banner and vinyl

Signsforwhile

If you must do it wet, we use baby shampoo......but everyone has their own soap of choice.

In the past we have put screws in the corners of our table, the secured bunjee cords from the grommets to the screws.

With printers in house, I don't know the last time I layed vinyl on a banner was!

Gordy Saunders

My porportions for making my own application fluid.
1 Cup water
1/2 Cup Denatured Alcohol
1 drop on a teaspoon of soap. (let one drop of soap fall on to a teaspoon for each cup of water that you use - this is cruitial).

mountainmang

i still like rapid tac II but do more and more things dry since getting a couple of these. taping it good makes all the difference in the world :thumb:

Attachments

• approller1-gallery.jpg
    approller1-gallery.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 70

Flame

RapidTac and such work better than soapy water, but if you want to make your own mix, take one bottle of water and add in 5 drops of DISH soap, that works ok. DO NOT use Windex (my former solution of choice. lol).

Then after doing a few banners, start trying them dry. :)

S

scarface

i just started doing banners about a month ago and i do them dry or wet, wet works fine for me to make sure all the bubbles are out. i use rapid tac and it drys on the banner quickly after application.

Sign_Boy

I do my banners dry, if a bubble shows up I poke it with my trusty Exacto and work it out.
Banners are porous so they will be easier to work with like iSign said.

I use:
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100029

And for those smaller banners that I can't clamp the one corner I use a string attached to a small carabiner.
Clip it through the grommet pull the string and clamp it down.

Just make sure to wipe your banner down before applying the vinyl.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Been my experience for the last 10 years, I use a drop in a spray bottle. Palmolive Green works best for us. We do banners most of the time dry with a 3" rivet brush. There are times when you need to use a wet application for overlays and such. The experts here that tell you dry is the only way to go...well lets just say are behind the times a little. Learn both ways. You will use them through the years. Vinyl is a tricky little sucker and picks up everything from static electricity. Get it under your vinyl and you'll get bubbles or bumps. Practice, practice, practice.

Sign_Boy

Been my experience for the last 10 years, I use a drop in a spray bottle. Palmolive Green works best for us. We do banners most of the time dry with a 3" rivet brush. There are times when you need to use a wet application for overlays and such. The experts here that tell you dry is the only way to go...well lets just say are behind the times a little. Learn both ways. You will use them through the years. Vinyl is a tricky little sucker and picks up everything from static electricity. Get it under your vinyl and you'll get bubbles or bumps. Practice, practice, practice.

Yes, when layering vinyl I think wet is the best way to go.
Depending on the application

wow lots of great info here. where can I get that rapid tac stuff? I think I want to try this one wet as I am still having problems weeding without messing up and having to recut some items. If I wanted to do it dry what would the process be?

Josh

Bigdawg

Just Me
A little late to the party here, but we do all our banners dry. IMHO, they are one of the most forgiving substrates I've worked with as far as bubbles. Just always make sure you pull it tight when applying.

Glad it worked for you