• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing vinyl on a shipping container

Carol Sundberg

Ok, so we have to quote doing vinyl lettering on some shipping containers - our question is, due to the uneven surface of the shipping container, we're thinking we'll need to stretch the graphic so that it looks normal instead of looking pinched.

here's a photo of the container - so you can see the angled surface.

http://images.craigslist.org/3E23Kd3N15Lf5Gc5J2d3k6a22bb6582351a5a.jpg

basically, I'm posting this to see if anyone else has had to do this type of install, and if you might have some suggestions as to stretching the graphics etc.

thank you in advance!

cajun312

If want the applied lettering to be a certain length, take a roll of painters tape, apply to the container going down into the corrugations to the length you need. Remove your masking tape and lay in only on the tops of the corrugations and measure, that's how long your lettering should be cut.

idsignsil

Depending on what they are doing with the containers you could just apply your vinyl to a panel substrate and screw that to the container. If that is not an option, Cajun312 has it right. Stretch the graphics horizontally and apply up and down over the channels and it should be ok, as long as there is not a ton of little details.