• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing vinyl over rivets with rollepro question

signmeup

I've watched the videos on the Rollepro website but they don't explain how you apply the vinyl with the little tent rows over the rivets. Can anyone shed some light on this. Maybe there is a video that I've not found?

HulkSmash

We use this thing a lot. don't leave tents.. leave channels down the WHOLE rivet path. Heat it... Heat it well.. and then start in the middle work down then up.

signmeup

We use this thing a lot. don't leave tents.. leave channels down the WHOLE rivet path. Heat it... Heat it well.. and then start in the middle work down then up.
That's what I meant to say... channels not tents. I'm not seeing how they get the channels.

ndwhite

I still see videos of people doing wraps with a rivet brush, is there any reason to use a rivet brush over a Rollepro or other tool?

ProWraps

use use the hell out of it for rivets. saves a TON of time. the install technique of the vinyl, is as important if not more important than how you use the rollepro. you HAVE to leave the channels open.

Mosh

Rivet brushes scratch the film so badd! A 3" foam roller with heat works just as good as the Rolli-deal. It is all in how you lay the film to start and WHAT film/lam you use. Try doing a ribbed semi trailer with rivets (reafer trailer) PITA big time!

ndwhite

Rivet brushes scratch the film so badd! A 3" foam roller with heat works just as good as the Rolli-deal. It is all in how you lay the film to start and WHAT film/lam you use. Try doing a ribbed semi trailer with rivets (reafer trailer) PITA big time!

So would you say there really isn't any reason to not upgrade from a rivet brush? According to ProWraps in the second post of this thread (http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-78107.html) "rollepro WILL NOT heat seal a rivet like a tried and true rivet brush" Anyone have any opinion on this? If so, is this the case for all foam rollers?

ProWraps

and it wont. to a degree. i posted that without the experience i have now (with the rollepro). but honestly it still wont. but will it do an aceptable job. yes.
keep in mind the price of jobs. im a firm beleiver you get what you pay for. will the rollepro do a good job for the money. absolutely. but only on the backside of experience.

ndwhite

and it wont. to a degree. i posted that without the experience i have now (with the rollepro). but honestly it still wont. but will it do an aceptable job. yes.
keep in mind the price of jobs. im a firm beleiver you get what you pay for. will the rollepro do a good job for the money. absolutely. but only on the backside of experience.
So you still feel using a rivet brush will result in higher quality, even being more experienced with the Rollepro?

ProWraps

hmm how do i answer this. give me a moment to get my thoughts together. its tough because i have opinions on both.

ProWraps

its funny because i can answer this in a way that will invoke a sh*t storm from the certified bodies. or i can answer it a way from experience, well, that will still invoke a sh*t storm from the certified bodies.

either way im screwed. but im a rogue that wants to say the truth. im on the fence. it sounds trivial, but there is a much bigger underlying story about what i do and who approves. just a quick back note, i PHYSICALLY install probably 50K sq/ft a year of vinyl. vehicle wraps only. well for the most part. i do some other crap for existing customers. banners. cut vinyl etc. but i dont take those jobs for new customers.

i probably know all of .00000005% of the industry. but man its a .00000005% that ive paid a good $300k to learn. i see the old school, and trust me, i recognize the new. and I AM opinionated about both as a very smart business person.

i just have to decide what side of the fence i walk. im thinking i should probably sleep on it.

phototec

Thanks Border. That is f'n t*ts!

Here is a short video showing how to control those t*ts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdBv1O5bQcU

yikes.gif

ndwhite

its funny because i can answer this in a way that will invoke a sh*t storm from the certified bodies. or i can answer it a way from experience, well, that will still invoke a sh*t storm from the certified bodies.

either way im screwed. but im a rogue that wants to say the truth. im on the fence. it sounds trivial, but there is a much bigger underlying story about what i do and who approves. just a quick back note, i PHYSICALLY install probably 50K sq/ft a year of vinyl. vehicle wraps only. well for the most part. i do some other crap for existing customers. banners. cut vinyl etc. but i dont take those jobs for new customers.

i probably know all of .00000005% of the industry. but man its a .00000005% that ive paid a good $300k to learn. i see the old school, and trust me, i recognize the new. and I AM opinionated about both as a very smart business person.

i just have to decide what side of the fence i walk. im thinking i should probably sleep on it.

I'm no connoisseur of vehicle wraps, actually I really only started researching in detail today. I'm just looking for opinions.