• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

installing window perf on an inset window

binki

I don't do a lot of window installs with perf vinyl and when I do I have a lot of trouble getting it started.

Here are some thoughts that I have since I have a new one I need to do that is about 6 feet wide and 4 feet high.

I am planning on making the cut about 1/8 inch smaller on each side so I can get the entire thing on the window without trimming.

I will bring a generator and heat gun to warm it up to help smooth it out.

I am thinking I should do this by cutting the backing centerlined from top to bottom and work from the middle out on something that is wide but short.

Other than that, are there any other things I can do to make this easier?

TIA.

ova

I did a window that was about 10' x 8' with perf. I only have a 30" printer so I had to panel it. I made the image about one inch bigger length and width.

In the conners where the perf was tucked, I made a diagonal cut on the image that allowed me to tuck the perf tight against frame work.

I taped the side of the image towards the window and a used a couple of pieces to hold the top.

Lifted the bottom, removed the backer about half way up and did the hinge thing middle to bottom. Removed the rest of the tape and applied the top half.

I use versa to rip and print, so I set the panels up in there. Had about an 1/8 inch overlap on each panel.

Might sound kind of confusing, but this worked for me. Hope it helps.

Dave