• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Insurance coverage

John Miller

Hi All,
I just heard from my insurance broker, (we have 45yr relationship) who tells me that the commercial carriers they represent will no longer insure sign companies that offer wraps. The most we'll do is a partial wrap and still they refuse to unsure us. If you've encountered his, what are are you-all doing about it.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Haven't heard anything like that (yet). Did they give you any clue as to why? How could wraps represent such a significant number of claims as opposed to any other aspect of the industry?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's getting worse and worse. I remade our website about a year ago and got rid of anything that the underwriters didn't like. Then they checked Facebook. With autos, they want a garage liability policy. Ours doubled this year.

Billct2

I've had State Farm for quite a while now. I'm always worried about something like this happening, though not because of wraps, I was thinking more like installs.
The only issues we have had are clients wanting higher and more extensive coverages. But going from $1m to $3m now really didn't cost that much more.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Talk to other insurance companies. We have had a couple companies refuse to quote us because of this. Seems to be a lack of knowledge of our industry

John Miller

I think what the problem is, is that there are companies who do things like cut vinyl directly on vehicles and cut into the paint. Remember the horror story about the wrap gone wrong that was the buzz about 3-4 months ago. Wrap hackers did major damage to a client’s car. I’d accept a waver, no wraps are covered. Considering we don’t do them anyway it would not be an issue.

ikarasu

Insurance companies want to take zero risk.

Our insurance company threatened to drop us for selling acyrlic barriers.... Because an acyrlic barrier is a "medical device" and if someone catches covid they could sue because the barrier wasn't good enough. So we were the only company not making acyrlic shields during covid....

Every renewal we get a visit from the company, and every renewal they have a new list of items to "bring us into compliance". We've never had them complain about vehicle wraps yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I'd let them know you're going to shop around for a different insurance company, because doing vehicle graphics is an integral part of your business. We usually fight back on certain "fixes" our company wants, and meet in the mid ground though. In sure they want you to never have vehicles on the property... But if you argue with them and they realize they may lose you, they may change their tune.

letterman7

I'd love to hear from the guys who are just doing vehicle graphics and who you are using for insurance. I was just tapped with this today - got my renewal, had some questions, and my agent said "oh, you just do vehicle graphics? I didn't know that..." bs - I've been with them for nearly 20 years. He wants to turn me to a garage policy but he's not sure he can since my bread and butter is emergency vehicle stuff - and certainly won't cover hand painted gold leaf and striping. The bs level of insurance is getting way out of hand.. who is everyone using?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I use Acuity. I can't find my policy but this is sent to anyone who requests proof of insurance. It's wrapped into my property insurance for the building. My agent is a 65 year old lady. I just had a 65 year old man adjuster here. The only thing he told me to do was make sure my batteries were new in my smoke alarms.

1691436315834.png

letterman7

I use Acuity. I can't find my policy but this is sent to anyone who requests proof of insurance. It's wrapped into my property insurance for the building. My agent is a 65 year old lady. I just had a 65 year old man adjuster here. The only thing he told me to do was make sure my batteries were new in my smoke alarms.

View attachment 166468
That's a little different Stacey. If it's wrapped into your property insurance, it's not specifically for vehicle graphics. It covers graphics since the vehicle would be in your building.. maybe.

Last edited:

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I've used Selective Insurance for a number of years. They are well aware we do vehicle graphics. We do have a "garage keepers" policy because we have customer vehicles at our shop. I don't think it is super expensive - maybe $500.

JBurton

Signtologist
We use a local agent who squares our needs with a bunch of folks, so our policy changes every 5 years or so. Currently we have AFCO. We may also be fortunate in that most agents are more worried about our bucket trucks, and aren't bothered by a handful of vehicle graphics.
b3.jpg

gnubler

It's getting worse and worse. I remade our website about a year ago and got rid of anything that the underwriters didn't like. Then they checked Facebook. With autos, they want a garage liability policy. Ours doubled this year.
I'm dealing with this now too. No bueno. Workers comp also.

Wondering how Burton got a pic of my bucket truck? Privacy please!

gnubler

Bubba's Backwoods Signs 'n Stuff
Bucket is littered with Coors Light cans and empty snuff tins, for the full effect.

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
We use Traveler's. We do vehicle graphics/spot and/or fleet graphics. To date we have not had any issues. Along similar lines, I was turned down by a company providing credit card processing services because of the fact that we did permitting at the time. What?? I still don't understand that one. I really think it's the elite's of this country trying to smother small business any way they can. Like how dare these peasants actually try to make a decent living and support themselves!:eek:

gnubler

What does permitting have to do with payment processing? They're not even connected. How would they even know?
Anyone else dealt with this?