• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Insurance?

laserman70

Ok, here is the question...
We have a wrap on out salesman's vehicle a while back..
His insurance agent said it will not be covered if he is in a wreck due to the business advertisement on the vehicle.
Do you have this issue?
Should we get a separate policy for this? Commercial
What are your thoughts?
Thanks

Christian @ 2CT Media

In AZ, any vehicle with commercial lettering on it opens the business up to liability in event of accident. You should get general liability at least to cover your business in case your salesman gets into an accident.

As for covering the wrap, is it really worth a monthly premium in case of an accident?

WildWestDesigns

It all boils down to the principal/agent issue. Was the salesman out on a job for you when they got into an accident etc. He might have been doing something idiotic all on his own when the accident happened, but since it has company logos, than it gets associated with that company.

Any insurence that just has a "personal" coverage on that vehicle is going to look for a reason not to pay.

laserman70

Yup here in PA I've always been told that it's not covered.
Try Hannahstown Mutual it's where I get my GL and commercial insurance.
My agent is Mike Marchese, a good local guy.
Love.....Jill

called them...
She said if we are not covering the building and everything else.. They are not interested..
Gotta love when people turn down money. lol

HulkSmash

called them...
She said if we are not covering the building and everything else.. They are not interested..
Gotta love when people turn down money. lol

you should consider getting insurance on your building. I think we have ours at like 10 million

John L

Yes, call your agent and ask for a quote (or if your existing liability already has coverage of the scenario you are questioning, probably not). Since it's HIS agent that stated that, you may have to actually provide him a car in order to obtain coverage.

There were companies wrapping third party outdoor ads on other peoples daily drivers a few years ago. Maybe investigate what they did regarding insurance or the waivers/contracts used to seperate the liability, etc.

That PA agency was probably just telling you straight. They probably wont be very competitive without a larger piece of insurance to write and they dont want to waste time for you or them. I'm nice about it, but I kinda tell folks the same thing in my business all the time too.

signage

Most insurance companies will not cover an accident for your personal car while doing work (any type)! If you use your car at all for work you must let the insurance company know and they will issue you a ride to cover it.

WildWestDesigns

Most insurance companies will not cover an accident for your personal car while doing work (any type)! If you use your car at all for work you must let the insurance company know and they will issue you a ride to cover it.

Farm vehicles can be an exception to that depending on the company that you use and there usually are a few stipulations with that as well.

Jillbeans

What Brian said is why I got the commercial coverage.
It's a rider on my homeowner's.
Between the commercial and GL I pay less than $600/year.
Even if your garage is insured under your homeowner's, and it burns down with a customer's vehicle inside it, their stuff won't be covered.

MikePro

they're mainly trying to keep people from using personal insurance for business protection. just like how the phone companies will shut you down and issue hefty fees if they catch you using a personal line as a business line.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ditto here in Michigan. Putting any type of commercial advertisement on your vehicle renders your personal policy null and void. My commercial policy on my truck is actually cheaper than my personal policy.

We also have a general liability policy that covers us when we're on customer turf or if they're here at our shop.

JB

Rydaddy

You should really talk to an insurance agent that handles business insurance. I am not an expert on it, which is what you need the agent for. Get three quotes and you will see that they will vary greatly in content and cost. I hate, (as I'm sure others will agree...) what it costs to insure my business and vehicles on a quarterly basis. Problem is that without it you have serious potential to end up S.O.L.

J

john1

Thats strange, My business insurance covers people who may be doing deliveries for me and all. I have a million liability and i think i only pay like $530 a year. I am home based also though.

WILLIAMS

Putting any type of commercial advertisement on your vehicle renders your personal policy null and void.
JB

+1... Bottom line vehicles with advertisements need to be titled and insured in business name.

Nvr understood why ppl want their name on things they don't own

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Let's take it a step further...

What about product names or national brand names in large print across the back window, with a phone number?

Lately I've seen Herbalife, Avon, Mary Kay and a plethora of others plastered across the back of "mom's taxi". How could those be any different since those vehicles are most likely used to deliver product?

JB

Graphics2u

Bottom line is ...Make sure you're covered! Any insurance company will try to get out of paying a claim any way they possibly can. If it's questionable, you'd better be checking on it.