• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Intel 2600k with SSD / 16 GB/1600 RAM - sharing my experience for reference

choucove

In the past we too have used Western Digital raptor hard drives for their 10k rpm speeds. This made a noticeable difference over basic 7,200rpm hard drives that we had used before, and still have four production computers using raptor hard drives, one of which has two of them in a RAID 0 array as well.

However, even though they are cheaper than a mid-capacity SSD, there is no comparison in performance. The latest versions of the VelociRaptor hard drives, when using two in RAID 0, can come close to the throughput of some of the better SSDs based on the (now aging) Indilix controller. This would include the OCZ Vertex 2 hard drive, and similar generation SSDs like the Intel G2 SSDs. However, in the last year new controllers and technology has come out on many latest-generation SSDs which double the performance of previous generation SSDs. For example, the OCZ Vertex 2 drive had an average throughput of around 200 MB/s to 250 MB/s read and writes. The new OCZ Vertex 3 has between 500 MB/s and 550 MB/s. And that's just a single drive. Our production system using two raptors in RAID 0 currently has an average throughput of about 150 MB/s which is nowhere close. There are a lot of other factors as well, such as access times and massive amounts of IO speed that truly put SSDs in a class of their own.

Raptors can be a great alternative if you truly need more than 300 GB of space on your primary partition, but their days are limited. SSDs continue to decline in price and offer more and more performance, growing by leaps and bounds every generation. My current computer is using a RAID 0 array of two OCZ Vertex 1 drives from my previous computer build. Both of these drives in RAID 0 are barely faster than a single OCZ Vertex 2 drive, and about half the speed of a single OCZ Vertex 3 drive!

In my case (probably because I have the SSDs in a RAID array) Windows 7 didn't automatically detect some of the options to disable based on the drive being an SSD. The only one that Windows 7 did disable is disk defragmentation on the SSD, but I had to turn off Indexing, hibernation, and superfetch/prefetch manually.

As for the Dell monitors, you shouldn't have any problem with it connecting and working just fine with any other monitor. At home I use a Samsung SyncMaster 24" HDTV monitor and an Acer 19" LCD spare monitor together and, while I can easily tell the color difference between the nicer and newer Samsung and the older cheaper Acer, there's absolutely no problems. Especially saying that your existing monitor and this Dell Ultrasharp U2211H are almost identical size, it would be pretty nice as well. Often the hardest thing to get used to is different sized monitors. Does your existing monitor support full 1080p resolution? I know that the U2211H is a 1920 X 1080 resolution monitor. It also has connectors for VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort.

I'm very tempted to get a few of these monitors myself sometime to set up on a three-way monitor stand - two to run off my main computer system and one to connect solely to a DVI 4-port KVM switch I have to allow me to switch between other computers I'm working on.

I'm really not sure what to make of the freezing glitch at boot up that seems to plague these systems occasionally. It could very well be a BIOS issue, but if it is it's something they have not fixed yet. I flashed this motherboard to the latest release only a couple weeks ago when I reinstalled everything on my system. I've heard from another person who has a similar motherboard, also from ASUS, that still has the same thing happen about once a month.

Custom_Grafx

what I'd REALLY like to see is you rip one of the panels I printed last week in Flexi 10 so I can see how underpowered my tri-core is :)

a simple enough marker, would be your scores from the 'windows experience' dialogue... something a bit more in depth, http://novabench.com/download.php

Hey that's a pretty cool utility at novabench! My Windows index is 7.4.

Here's my results from novabench;

NovaBench Score: 1476
20/06/2011 8:25:22 AM
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel Core i72600K 3.40GHz @ 3401 MHz
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

16361 MB System RAM (Score: 252)
- RAM Speed: 14975 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 793)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 206105440
- Integer Operations/Second: 913914624
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 1275766

Graphics Tests (Score: 407)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 1138

Hardware Tests (Score: 24)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 119 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 159 MB/s

njshorts

Hey that's a pretty cool utility at novabench! My Windows index is 7.4.

Here's my results from novabench;

NovaBench Score: 1476
20/06/2011 8:25:22 AM
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel Core i72600K 3.40GHz @ 3401 MHz
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

16361 MB System RAM (Score: 252)
- RAM Speed: 14975 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 793)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 206105440
- Integer Operations/Second: 913914624
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 1275766

Graphics Tests (Score: 407)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 1138

Hardware Tests (Score: 24)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 119 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 159 MB/s

Good numbers! You may have inspired my next build, plus/minus a few small changes.

LoneRanger01

Here is my two cents worth....Keep in mind I do not build or make signs. About ten years ago a sign company came to me with his problems with CasMate. So I designed a computer for him that would play well with CasMate. One thing I do feel very strong about is that the speed of a computer is not as important as its reliability with the software it is using. What good is it having the fastest computer if it crashes all the time?
The final computer I designe was an Intel motherboard and CPU with an ATI vieo card. Stay away from SiS chip sets and video cards. His computer has 5 internal HHDs and he uses Windows XP for his Casmate and Flexi software.
It is a shame that CasMate did not update their software for Windows XP because it preforms outstanding with XP.
Just remember fast isn't always better.....just like the old bull and the young bull on the hill, where the young bull says to the old bull, "lets run down the hill and have us a couple of cows" and the old bull replies "lets walk down the hill and have us all those cows....."

Last edited by a moderator: