• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Intel mac

FINBAR

Hi
My Mutoh printer has died and I have to replace it with a Roland.
the Versaworks which is Windows driven will not run on my ppc MAC.
I can source an Intel Quadra Mac.

Q. will the ppc Flexi 7.6v2 run on the Intel or can the Intel be partitioned so that I can run the OS 10.3.9 on one partition and the Windows os on the other partition?
OR if I change my Flexi to a Windows OS will my previous work files be readable?
Any guidance would be welcome.
FINBAR (adrift in the West of Ireland :) )

rjssigns

May want to look into Parallels. Virtual Box from Oracle may be an option too. IIRC there are a few site members using Parallels with no issues.

WildWestDesigns

May want to look into Parallels. Virtual Box from Oracle may be an option too. IIRC there are a few site members using Parallels with no issues.

The biggest thing here it to make sure your host computer has the resources to handle 2 OSs.

During my one ill fated use of the Mac, I ran Parallels and that wasn't a good experience, but I'm more then willing to bet at the time, I just didn't have the resources to handle it.

In all honesty, I would look into VMware. That's the route I intend to take with my next build. Linux as the host, Win 7 has the guest (and maybe Win 10 as another guest for any later iterations of my digitizing program that aren't subscription based). VMware just has much more options (and better support) then the others. Little bit costlier and it just depends on what/how much functionality, you are wanting to get.

As far as this question goes:

OR if I change my Flexi to a Windows OS will my previous work files be readable?

I can only speak from the perspective of Adobe, but I have yet to have a problem with files generated from a Mac version opening up in my Windows version. That's assuming I'm not getting a file generated from a newer version with affects that are only in that newer version and those effects haven't been outlined (or "flattened", if you will) to be read in earlier versions, but that is an issue no matter what platform you are on.

FINBAR

Thank you all for your replies,
I have an appointment with a local Mac dealer during
the week and he may suggest an emulator on the Quadra which
will allow me to use my presen tMac Flexisign and also drive the Roland's Versaworks out of the one computer.
Regards,
Finbar