• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interesting

WildWestDesigns

Yet some more update fun.

Been reading on how one Windows update is actually installing itself twice and the latest update has been causing people's computers to freeze (wasn't this an issue with last month's patch Tuesday update as well?).

Anyway, just more fun with updates, I thought I would mention, something to be on the lookout for.

binki

We got our update without issue however one of my windows 8 computers did an update and died during it with no chance to recover. That was a few months ago. Right now I have 3 dead ones, all lenovo mini towers, 2 hard drive failures, one windoze update failure.

WildWestDesigns

Hmmm, I haven't tried Lenovo's mini towers, I do have their Thinkstations though for main rigs, then custom built ones for other uses. Hope it wasn't directly related to them being Lenovo.

I'm just wanting on the phone call from my dad (only one that has Windows anymore, he just refuses to budge despite ever update bring up headaches (at least so far)) to find out what issues he is having. Not having Windows anymore and Win 10 still seems to be pain for me.

Hopefully had backups for the HD failures.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Said it before.... for business, MS does NOT want you to use it and the keys are not sold retail but get LTSC (long term servicing channel). You can defer updates longer, can defer "feature" updates even longer yet, both of which allow the rest of the world to beta test updates. LTSC also has no store, Cortana, Edge, no stupid games automatically installing and a lot more controls for disabling all the telemetry junk. The catch is some "modern" apps might not work. For example with the newest version LTSC 2019, older version of Office will not work, you have to use Office 2019 (at least that is what MS says).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Can we talk about phone updates? They are 100x more horrible then PC. My S9+ updated to One UI and this thing sucks...so glitchy now and no way to go back.

WildWestDesigns

Said it before.... for business, MS does NOT want you to use it and the keys are not sold retail but get LTSC (long term servicing channel). You can defer updates longer, can defer "feature" updates even longer yet, both of which allow the rest of the world to beta test updates. LTSC also has no store, Cortana, Edge, no stupid games automatically installing and a lot more controls for disabling all the telemetry junk.

I don't necessarily know anyone here that would qualify for Enterprise.

However, given that there are instances that at least 1 update was never fixed (October's update from last year), I really wouldn't hold my breath for updates to really increase in quality they longer that they are out there.

The catch is some "modern" apps might not work. For example with the newest version LTSC 2019, older version of Office will not work, you have to use Office 2019 (at least that is what MS says).

This is actually going to be the catch for everyone that tries to defer updates.

I think there was even an instance when some computers couldn't get updates beyond the Anniversary update due to their age as well.

The rolling release nature of Win 10, doesn't matter which version "your" talking about isn't good for business really. It's just not. The forced updates by themselves shows that.

Even though this is a commercially supported product, if I recall correctly, MS doesn't have a in house testing group at all for QC. Which explains quite a bit of these issues as well (no matter what, there will always be bugs, but it's one less layer).

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Can we talk about phone updates? They are 100x more horrible then PC. My S9+ updated to One UI and this thing sucks...so glitchy now and no way to go back.

The joys of forced updates. Which for IoT devices, those really need to happen. Sorry, those do need it and I wish more OEMs did it. Some routers are just horrid. Using 2x kernels (some new cell phones are still on 3x kernels) way, way too old.

I doubt it will ever be on the same level, but I'm really holding out for Librem 5 (would have a lot more control, plus, I just really enjoy the KDE environment), but I doubt even if it makes it to mainstream market, the hardware will be up to the same snuff as Android.

WildWestDesigns

Saw this today.

Thankfully even though dad got a troubling 1903 and spent some time troubleshooting that for him this weekend, this doesn't affect him or I'm sure he would have to have dealt with that as well. He has the worst luck with every major update that Win 10 does (and the wonderful part is that it comes twice a year).

Anyone use bluetooth and/or WIFI for their Win 10 installs that also use those particular drivers? Just giving a heads up if you do and you use those devices. Of course, some may want to keep the outdated wi-fi driver if it helps prevent future Windows updates, I dunno.

The irony ( and one of the big three things that I have a problem with Windows and a big reason why forced updates are not the best thing) of 3rd party drivers. 3rd party drivers are the lifeblood of why Windows works on as much hardware as it does, but it also brings about instability during updates (as well as security concerns). The one thing that I don't miss is all the drivers. I do use a bluetooth adapter in my computer for a few devices, but thankfully, it's driver has been "baked in" the kernel since 2.x (current LTS is at kernel 4.1x (I'm at 4.18)). I really don't miss this.

Again, just a heads up for those that may want to make sure that this isn't going to affect you.