• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interesting...

WildWestDesigns

Interesting to say the least with the new ToS. It seems rather broad and encompassing, but that is coming from me, so take it for what it's worth. Some uses, I can see as pro forma, but I can also see where it wouldn't be. But I am no longer a current Adobe user (and not a lawyer), so this is merely curiosity for me.

ToS.png

WildWestDesigns

That's legalese for we own the rights to anything you design in our platform. They are taking the Canva approach... it could be used to circumvent AI Generated art copyright laws and grant Adobe the ability to use our designs in AI training and output.
I would argue that at the g-rated version, that would be what they are doing, especially with sub licensing and being able to create derivative works.

Ironically, I doubt that it will move the needle much.

Oh and I imagine that Affinity would also follow that approach given Canva owns them. But right now, I'm speculating. If this doesn't move the needle much, most others will also for sure take this approach. Or they may do it anyway even if the needle does move, if enough of the big boys do it, it won't matter if customers still go amongst them.

Signstein

Wonder if this is referring to files uploaded to Adobe's cloud storage. How else would they be able to "review" content?

WildWestDesigns

Wonder if this is referring to files uploaded to Adobe's cloud storage. How else would they be able to "review" content?
It all depends on how things are setup with that syncing and is the cloud storage opt-in or opt-out? I mean far worse stuff is going in at the OS level and I could see it applying to files that are opened in individual programs as well at the program level, especially with more and more pushing what they are calling "AI" (which as it is now, is more marketing compared to anything else, but I digress).

Since for the most part, these programs are always on (in fact, some features require always on), I don't think it's that hard of a thing. Brave new world, at least it better be.

pro-up

Contracts that are so one-sided are typically not enforceable if contested. That being said, anyone that can afford the fight would win, but they will most likely out-spend anyone that attempts to fight this.

WildWestDesigns

Contracts that are so one-sided are typically not enforceable if contested. That being said, anyone that can afford the fight would win, but they will most likely out-spend anyone that attempts to fight this.
That's the key thing. And until it is contested, it would still go on as if it is enforceable. I don't it would be a good idea to go 1 on 1.

About the only way out of that, and I doubt it would happen (it should have happened with another decision of theirs about a decade ago), if there is a mass exodus, but I doubt that would happen. Not really a whole lot of commercial offerings out there(some will only consider commercial offerings, but eventually they will all be along the same lines, but I'm speculating) and most are wanting to go the AI route and already making plugins and other offerings to facilitate that. I would imagine that there will be more EULA/ToS in this direction. Writing is on the wall on this.

WildWestDesigns

once agian Ill keep my cs5 disk
Yea, that was probably the last good one of the CS line. Had to have an account with CS6.

Unfortunately, there are things coming down the pipeline at the OS level, ARM for right now, but there is no indication that it wouldn't be brought to X86_64 or that getting more and more people to ARM as it is.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Well, Adobe stepped across the line and caught someone's attention. DOJ and FTC filed a suit against them. Here's a link to the DOJ press release, there's also a link to the full complaint on the page, although heavily redacted.

Attachments

• 1_redacted_complaint.jpg
    1_redacted_complaint.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 14

WildWestDesigns

To be honest, I doubt much of anything will come of it. Those that took it on the chin and said that "it's just the cost of doing business" with regard to when Adobe did the SaaS thing, will probably still do so, despite things getting worse (in my opinion) once they [Adobe] realized how much control of over the market that they had.

Companies in general seem to have really over stepped their bounds as of late, between this and Recall especially. Problem is, customers have a very short attention span and nothing is really stopping this from being applied later on if it's changed now. At some point the lawsuits just become a cost of doing business for these companies.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Seems odd how they flew under the radar with everything till that recent TOS update. Almost like a mass exodus had begun, and enough got caught up in those hidden termination fee loopholes to cause this.

I wish I could get rid of the last remaining Adobe program I have. One license left for one copy of Illustrator, just for the plugins for cutters & such, but I never really use it for designing anymore. With players like Affinity now in the game, it's gonna be crazy to see how things play out for design software users who don't need or use everything they're over-paying for from Adobe.

WildWestDesigns

One license left for one copy of Illustrator, just for the plugins for cutters & such, but I never really use it for designing anymore.
If you are using cutters that can handle Raw HPGL, probably don't even need the plugins either. Most OSs can handle RAW HPGL by itself and any vector program should be able to send that info for the cutter to parse what it needs from that.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I wonder what would happen to AI if large numbers of people uploaded pictures to various places with totally unrelated tags and file names on them. Junk in junk out.

WildWestDesigns

I wonder what would happen to AI if large numbers of people uploaded pictures to various places with totally unrelated tags and file names on them. Junk in junk out.
I would imagine that is what Nightshade is somewhat doing to mess with the learning model.

AI really isn't creating anything in the traditional sense, which one can't get protection with something that has been derived from AI (maybe the prompts will be at some point, but that would probably be it). More and more, I'm wanting to just grab the good ole trusted Speedball and not worry about this.